Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Junk Food you love to hate

WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

Remember why you hate fast food? Here’s some photos to jog your memory.

Oozing Superpretzel

Rubbery Chili Dog

My friend Nancy

Comments

• uhhhh, BARF! McNasty!

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

I used to eat the fried skin off of pork eggrolls for lunch – they didn’t make any vegetarian ones, so I didn’t eat the inside of the roll. Ewww!

• KhaasLadkiKhaasLadki Raw Newbie

Okay… I seriously think I’m going to be sick.

Thank goodness I can now say it’s been over 1 year since I had ANY of that! And it’s been over 10 years since I had ANY bacon or pork!

When I saw the chicken nasties is when my stomach when bluhhhh… I used to eat those all the time – and I used like an entire pack of sweet n sour sauce on each nugget… shudder… and the Twinkies?! mmmk you get the point…

You know the skin on KFC’s chicken? I used to peel it off and eat it before I’d eat the chicken (ok so I was 12, but still). And I did it with Long John Silver’s fish, too. EW I ATE THAT NASTY JUNK?! I forgot about that one… :x

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

I still like Super Pretzels. :) I miss them. I used to eat them plain and before i went vegan with Nacho Cheese. Also Cotton Candy. I think I ate mostly sugar when I was a kid. I never ate canned bacon but I used to eat the bacon RAW out of the frig – my mom almost killed me when she found out!

I remember in high school the popular food was Pizza Puffs – it was a like a puffed up dough or english muffin type of bread with pizza fillings in it.

One of my bad secret things I like to eat was Pizza Hut breadsticks dipped in cream cheese – Yum! Talk about fattening too!

Khaas Ladki – When my family used to get chicken, I would eat the wings. I liked to gnaw on bones and my favorite part was that crunchy stuff they would put on the chicken I never ate the meat part. Speaking of skins, at Thanksgiving, I would only eat the skin part of the turkey. It was a crunchy grease laiden skin but I loved it. I hated turkey meat.

You know which junk food I hate even though I have never had it? Flamin Hot anything. It makes me wonder how numb peoples taste buds are that everything has to be Flamin Hot. Cheetos, Doritos, Potato chips…When those things came out when I was young it was original flavor – now everything is Flamin Hot. Why? What was wrong with the original flavors?

PS - I just say that right now all this junk food sounds good to me because I am in the middle of a master cleanse! ha ha!

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Burger cupcake? I checked out the link… and it really is all cupcake with green and red frosting! ...and vanilla and chocolate cupcake… with sesame seeds on top. It’s actually kinda cute!

Although, I rarely ate a lot of this… if you had other pictures of other “bad” foods I’ve eaten, then the pictures would not be helpful at all to help me stay raw… I may want them!

The mind has a way of connecting the food you eat with a feeling or an experience. I recently heard a lecture by Charles S. Zuker, Ph.D who discovered the receptors that… detect sweet, sour, bitter, and umami (brothy/savory). And, I remember he mentioned that each flavor in food signaled a different part of the brain… and combining flavors would not signal the same parts of the brain, but different parts of the brain. I don’t know what I’m getting at really… except that certain foods I won’t eat again, by choice. But other foods, I still enjoy! ...and the pictures don’t help. hehe Of course, I already know these foods are nutrient-deficient.. obviously I’m still addicted. sigh

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

OMG, DID YOU READ THE SHIT UNDER THE PRETZEL PIC? A DEEP FRIED TWINKIE DOG?????WHO EATS THIS WAY? im grossed out man…. grossed out !

• geniusrawmodel23geniusrawmodel23 Raw Newbie

Yeah, I’m not totally off cooked junk food yet. But meat…..baaaarf. that canned bacon makes me shudder. ugh. I cannot believe I ever ate twinkies they are sooooo awful!!!! Ha, queenfluff, I know what you mean, the master cleanse makes anything look scrumptious..lol!

I’ve been vegetarian for a while… so a lot of this is unfamiliar territory. But I used to eat bagels, pasta, pizza, and ice cream in college because of residence hall food. Once I lived on my own, carbs were a rare treat. Looking back, I still can’t believe what I ate : )

When I was a kid though… we were taken to all you can eat buffets, fast food, restaurants, encouraged to gorge on fried chicken, mac&cheese, lasagna, huge entrees. Dinner was always meat and a huge platter of white rice, dessert was ice cream. Even snacks were heavy.. cheesy tortillas, white rice with stews. Meat was in every meal, even breakfast! No wonder I went vegan as a pre-teen. Yipes!

“Twinkie Dog: A deep fried Twinkie is cut open and a Farmland 8:1 hot dog is deep fried then placed in the middle.” shudder

Gravy Fries

Burger hates you

Wacked buffet food

The worst are southern casseroles! For example – cream of mushroom and cream of chicken soup cans with chicken and cheese swimming in a dish. Corned beef and noodle casserole?

Canned cream of mushroom soup with frozen green beans with dried fried onions from a can?

I just HAD to post this recipe: 16 oz. egg noodles 12 oz. flaked tuna 1 can (14-1/2 oz.) peas and carrots 2 cans (10-3/4 oz. each) cream of mushroom soup 8 oz. shredded Cheddar cheese 8 oz. sour cream 16 crackers, crushed

winona – my mom used to make that recipe you posted. I think it was called ‘Tuna Casserole” except no peas or carrots. But yep, Cream of Mushroom soup was a staple in our house. Goes good in any weird casserole or Hamburger Helper recipe! :)

Does anyone remember Steak-Ums? A Steak-um and french fry/mashed potatoe dinner was a treat back then! :) Not to mention Spam with Macroroni N Cheese. :)

Speaking of Cream Of Soups, we used to make something called “Shrimp Dip”. It was Cream of Shrimp soup with cream cheese and lemon juice. Boy, I loved that stuff. It was supposed to be served with potato chips but I liked to dip my day-old popcorn in it.

One of things I hated was Scalloped Potatoes – yuck! It was sliced potatoes with some sort of oily cheesy sause and some spice I did not like. It came in box – I think Betty Crocker.

I never realized until how much dairy and greasy I ate when I was a kid. I hate some weirdo stuff. I think the weirdest junk thing I ate was the wonder bread, butter and white sugar sandwiches. :)

• KhaasLadkiKhaasLadki Raw Newbie

EW I used to eat a burger that looked like that…

I know what you mean about the buffets, etc. That’s not what my mom fed me (she’s from Colorado and ate very healthy until she married a Texan), but when we all went out, being a daddy’s girl, I ate what daddy ate! Fried chicken, fried okra (can you believe it’s called a ‘green’ down here?!), macncheese, all that junk. And then if I started to get full my dad would give me his plate to finish. No wonder I was 30-40lbs overweight! One time I had a sleepover at my friend’s house and we EACH ordered our OWN LARGE PIZZA-and ate them!

My mom did make that Tuna Casserole, though. Ew. Even before I gave up greasy cooked junk it was sickeningly greasy. Oh, and my mom left out the peas and carrots! It was tuna, cream of mushroom, potato chips, and cheddar cheese. EW

Mutant Pizza

Shiny Pizza

EW More Pizza

khaas – thanks for the mutant pizza photos! I love seeing gross pizza pics, because that was one temptation i could never resist in the past. I had forgotten how awfully greasy they are, how you burp them up, how they’re just squishy and the crust is soggy and i just regret even tasting it!!! I haven’t had a slice in 2 years, just a bite here and there but now—blech.

Fried okra a green? What a crime! In southern cooking, the ‘veggies’ are cooked for 1 hour typically. They’re cooked on the stove in the big pot 1 hour, or cooked 1/2 hour in a pot then 1/2 hour in the oven. And they may start off frozen or canned. HOW AWFUL. Tuna casserole is such an awful idea.. first off, seafood smells like old socks and in my entire life i’ve never eaten anything that came out of the sea it is so fishy and nasty. Second, POTATO CHIPS in a casserole??? Even before I ate healthy, i’d never eat chips baked in a dish. Listen to this recipe:

COKE CHICKEN

1 fryer chicken, cut in bites 1 c. catsup 1 sm. Coke

Lay chicken pieces in skillet. Pour catsup and Coke over them. Cook for 1 hour on low heat with lid on pan. Remove lid and cook until sauce is thick. NOTE: Diet Coke may be used as well.

NO! No, diet coke may not be used. in fact, regular coke may not be used either. Horrendous!

My downstairs neighbor orders her own large pizza several days a week.. and finishes it for dinner, in 45 minutes. Then she typically roots around in the freezer to eat part of a pint of ice cream. Seems hard to imagine… doesn’t even sound tasty, just indigestible and blech.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

CANDY…starburst, skittles, anything with tons of artificial colors and flavors. It’s probably still sitting in my gut.

When I was a kid I loved Lebanon Baloney. Ew!

My bf and I were just watching a show on Cheetos….grrr! I miss those! :(

Winona – Ha Ha! Potatoe chips on casserole! Boy that brings back memories. My mom was the queen of the potatoe chip casserole! Actually, the potatoe chips on the casserole were my favorite part!

• I don't consider my taste buds to be numb, I can taste the faintest of spices. We like hot and spicy foods my kids will eat the jalapeno peppers right from our garden. We love spicy raw salsa.

On the naughty foods... I used to eat cold hot dogs I called them "cold ones" and one day when I was about 5 my dad was fixing something on our house and asked me to get him a cold one (he meant a beer) I brought him a cold hot dog. He thought it was a joke prompted by my mom... but it wasn't.

• i ate hostess fruit pies (the kind that never really expire) and cheetos. my God.

my parents can never seem to keep up with my changing tastes, so whenever i go to visit them, they stock up on a bunch more fruit pies... even though i haven't eaten them now for years and the thought of it makes me ill.

s

• i just looked at those pictures and almost vomited when i looked at the mutant pizza. EW!

one other thing: my dad used to make me bologna, peanut butter, and mayonnaise sandwiches when i was little. and i ate them, no complaints. i am glad i know better now.

s

• Hey, Winona,

This is a great topic. For me it would be Krispy Creme doughnuts... I must have gained 15 # on them and whole milk when I lived around the corner from one, and used to wait up for my housemate to get off from 2nd shift... I REALLY love to hate them!!!!!!

-osoniye

• FeeFee Raw Master

We had the tuna casserole too but without the peas and carrots and with crushed potato crips on the top! Havent eaten tuna for years and years now. Still give into cravings for wheat free pizza these days but its getting less and less often.

• ladydaventryladydaventry Raw Newbie

Skittles!!!! I still look at them with love - thankfully my teeth and tastebuds tell me better!!

• vegan2rawvegan2raw Raw Newbie

OMG I can think of so many things but the trouble is since I have been vegan so long and now raw for a while on the once or twice I have given in to some craving or temptation I found it did not taste as good as my memory remebered its kinda funny when you realize that emotional fuzzy remebrance from childhood but you take a bite and find yourself feeling repulsed by the taste or texture.

Thanks to the universe for making change so easy

but the things I still crave are snickers ice cream bars, chick fil e nuggets, cheesy greasy pizza of course and big pots of seafood gumbo, Cheesecake

I crave vegan indian food and persian food and thai food and...! I don't want junk food. Maybe some vegan ice cream. Most of the time I'm satisfied entirely with raw food, no cravings... but if someone set a plate of those ethnic foods in front of me, I'd eat it!

Junk food is usually pretty nasty to me. Perhaps some vegan imitation nuggets.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

I totally agree about the indian food! the rice and potatoes and cauliflower...yet it has the worst impact on the body.

Yeah kidchef, don't get me started... my stomach becomes a veritable land mine if I eat much cooked food.

• CarnapCarnap Raw Newbie

I was raised on Hungry Man TV dinners.

I actually have a lot of anger towards my mom for feeding me all that crap just because she didn't feel like properly raising her kids.

• gratefultobegratefultobe Raw Newbie

She just bought into the massive programing that she was giving you a balanced diet. Probable had no other info. I'm not too bothered that me and my sisters were raised that very same way but for some reason it REALLY bothers me that when my grandmother needed to be cared for my parents pretty much fed her nothing more then Corn Flakes with sugar and milk!!!! They said she couldn't digest anything else. What a load of crap!! It was just cheap and easy.

Now I tell them (when they hint around about the day when they will need care) you bet I'll take care of you. All fresh, vibrant foods. No dead animals or gross fats, refined sugars or garbage. LOL This scares the heck out of them. It so funny because it would be the best care they could possibly get but I read somewhere.. 'people would rather change their religion then the way they eat.' I believe that (even tho I did it).

• Annabelle77Annabelle77 Raw Newbie

Im not sure if I've mentioned this before but--

My mom was a natural food nut when we were growing up-- and we hated it! All we wanted was soft white bread instead of our hard brown bread. We wanted sweet creamy peanut butter and we got the hard kind with no sugar-- and we got apples instead of twinkies. Eating lunch with all the other kids was hard!! But, now I love that my mom did that for us.

One day after we had begged and begged for twinkies or ho-hos my mom bought a pack of Twinkies-- BUT she threw all of them away except for one which she put on top of the fridge with an apple. She explained that food that is natural and that can fuel the body will start to spoil quickly since the enzymes start to work-- and that junk food will not spoil. Do you know that that freaking twinkie sat on top of the fridge for at least 3 years and diddnt change a bit!? The outside was hard, but the 'creamy' filling was still soft. It would have lasted 100 years like that, but my little sister stole it when she needed an eraser for the chalk board!

• gratefultobegratefultobe Raw Newbie

Ha ha ha! Good story & SUPER mom, Annabelle!

BTW my love to hate would have to be like a double double from in and out :( UGG, not even a little tempting anymore but just in case my copy of EARTHLING is on the way. Oh ya, speaking of childhood my dad drove truck for General Mills back in the day and he would bring home those hostess fruit (?) pies by the drum load. I'm not exaggerating, trash can size (hint, hint). I think they were throwing them out. You know those had a shelf life of forever!

Remember how shiny and hard they were? lol yuck