Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Thirsty

macanoogiemacanoogie Raw Newbie

Am I the only person who always feels thirsty? I feel the more water I drink, the more I need. Plus, I've had a strange metallic taste in my mouth since last week (and no, I have no metal fillings). I woke up last night with my mouth so dry I had to hold water in it for a minute or so just to let my tongue soak - it was really strange. Anyone else experiencing this?

Comments

• luxdivonluxdivon Raw Newbie

I have been waking up in the morning with very dry mouth - feeling definitely dehydrated. I hardly ever used to drink any water during the day, and now i'm drinking at least 2 full glasses (of course with all my other normal liquids) so that's increasing. It hasn't gotten to the always wanting more point. although i can see how it could start to be like that. i'm just over 3 months raw. I wonder why it happens....

• pixxpixx Raw Master

Dehydrated foods will draw fluids out of the body in order to rehydrate. If you eat dehydrated foods, you should drink way more water than usual. Maybe this is what is causing the problem for you two? I haven't a clue about the metallic taste. If it's (both the metallic taste & the dehydration) been persistent for a while (as it sounds) I would suggest getting checked out & having blood work done.

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

I'm always thirsty too, even when I eat a lot of foods rich in water. I eat cantaloupe and watermelon for breakfast and lunch and that causes me to pee every 15 minutes, but I'm still thirsty after eating them. I don't know why?

• macanoogiemacanoogie Raw Newbie

I'm drinking at a minimum 60 ounces of water a day on top of fruits/veggies all day long. I rarely eat dehydrated foods (but ironically I'm making the dehydrated eggplant bacon now - can't wait!!) and am careful not to drink while digesting. I just can't seem to get enough water...

• keewikeewi Raw Newbie

Eat more fruit, i eat about 2k+ calories of fruit a day. My pee is always clear, i don't drink any water(or crave any) and i pee a good 10-15 times a day(really annoying at night waking up 5+ times to go pee lol). Make sure your getting quality fruit aswell, i noticed a big difference since i started only buying my fruit from the farmers market

• hannahmariehannahmarie Raw Newbie

i was always thirsty when i was 100% raw. i attributed it to not getting added salt (so that i would retain the water for longer).

i'm starting to wonder if maybe your body uses water throughout the detox or healing/ changing processes. Water is the one thing you can actually survive on for how many days? So maybe our bodies are needing more water to facilitate the healing/cleansing process. just a thought. MacANoogie, do you feel like you still have some detox/cleansing symptoms or no? just curious.

• macanoogiemacanoogie Raw Newbie

Lux - I do still have "symptoms" but can't say it's due to my food choices anymore - mainly some acne (could be cyclical) and some joint pain (primarily my hips!). I had severe symptoms when I started... I'm still drinking at least my 60 ounces a day.

I feel that I'll never be 100% clean/detoxed since I still use body lotion that has chemicals, shower in city water, still eat chocolate and some purchased breads, etc., etc., etc., although I'm 95% better than I used to be. I've mostly lost the metallic taste that lingered for what seemed like so long and my thirst has weakend along with it (but not gone).

Looking at the big picture, my journey started in March and so far I've lost 30 pounds (my goal was 25). Life is better and I am healthier. :)

By the way - the dehydrated bacon recipe (on this site) was absolutely wonderful!!!!!

• ambiguousambiguous Raw Newbie

Eating too much sweet food (even water-rich sweet fruit) makes you thirsty. If your body is getting more sugar than your pancreas can handle, it has to rely on just peeing out the excess sugar. Try a web search for thirst and diabetes. Additionally, if you're not getting enough sodium, your body has a hard time actually getting the water it needs into your cells.

A metallic taste can mean you have toxic amounts of metal in your body, and I second the bloodwork suggestion. At the very least, consider taking a nutritional complex designed to remove metals from the body.

ClaireT
  • superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

I'm pretty sure eating dehydrated eggplant with sodium added will make you thirsty! :)

I'm a high-fruit person who doesn't get thirsty at all, and I run every day.

ClaireT

MacANoogie,

That's wonderful! Maybe you had some toxic metals in your system. Being that you had hte mettalic taste, and now it's mostly gone. Maybe you needed all that water to push it through your system. After Sonnenhuit found she had uranium in her system, i would really love to do a general test for myself. Luckily for me, the increase in water supply just means i'm getting an adequate amount, as even my fiancee points out i dont drink enough water! Best Wishes continuing on your raw food journey.

ClaireT
  • AVLAVL Raw Newbie

superfood2, I also eat tons of sweet juice fruit and run everyday but I still get thirsty. I don't get it?

ClaireT
  • jennj7247jennj7247 Raw Newbie

It seems like a lot of people posting are drinking barely any water? Are we supposed to limit our water intake on the raw food diet? I have just begun the diet and every time I eat my spinach/kale/broccoli salad it dehydrates me for 2-3 hours afterward.

• My drinking water had some impurities in it and I ordered the excellent whole house water filtration. The price for the filter cartridges is really good and the quality of the materials is of a high standard. Feel free to go to https://filterway.com/whole-house-systems. I am sure you will like their product.