becomming sensitive to EVERYTHING!

Hi everyone,

Since delving into the raw world (I eat raw until dinner-- somedays 100%) I have become oversensitive to many many things. I never before had allergies-- now I have spring, summer and fall allergies, seem to be sensitive to dust and dander.

My body has decided to mistake the protein in many fruits for the pollens that I am allergic to ('oral allergy syndrome') and so I now react when I eat bananas, almonds, melons, mangos and other fruits.

My skin seems to be more sensitive too.

Is this a normal reaction to deing detoxified? Anyone else having this experience?

Comments

• I recently started becoming allergic to everything (this was before experimenting with raw foods), and here's what I found out. For the most part, allergies are related to your immune system and your liver. If you liver is not doing a really good job cleaning your blood, the immune system has to take up the slack and can sometimes start attacking everything. If you are detoxing very quickly, it is possible that your liver or immune system is overburdened. I'm not a doctor or a naturopath, I'm just guessing.

Whether or not this is simply because of detoxifying, allergies can be dangerous to just let go. I would recommend cutting back on the raw food for a while to give your body time to adjust and to slow down the detox process. It's a huge adjustment and changing to a raw food diet is always a journey.

Here's what I did to actually decrease my sensitivity to my allergies: I took Dr. Christopher's Liver and Gallbladder herbal formula and I focused on eating the foods that actually made me feel better (not just less bad). So for a week, I lived on pinto beans, onions, apples and turkey. After that I was able to start eating a more well rounded diet. Since I did both of these things at the same time, it's hard to say which one actually worked, but my money is on the herbal formula.

Good luck with this. It is a very difficult thing to deal with when the foods you think are good for you are suddenly "forbidden" Hopefully, someone with a longer raw food background will have some more input.

• Annabelle77Annabelle77 Raw Newbie

Definitely food for thought-- I would not have thought about supporting my liver. I've been about 75% raw for a bit over 1 year-- and everything has developed since then.

The interesting part of Oral Allergy Syndrome is that I will react to the fruits that have cross-reacted with my pollen allergies when those particular pollens are in the air... so I will be allergic to various fruits depending on the season-- and to get over it completely I can simply move to the desert (lol).

You are right though-- maybe I'll put fruit on the back burner for a while. Veggies and greens make me the happiest-- and I do love me some beans!

Ill check out that herbal formula too!!

• I've had that experience too, where I've reacted to fruit that has cross-pollinated with ragweed or something else. It's one of the things that has kept me from trying the raw food diet. I've found that if I eat food outside of its natural season, it's less likely to be a problem, because it is more likely to have been grown in a greenhouse or an odd place that doesn't have my allergens. Just another bit of info.

• pixxpixx Raw Master

Not sure if this is any help, but I have noticed a reaction to strawberries, and to almonds. It took a while to make the connection, because I have eaten them in the past without any issues. Come to find out, every time I reacted, it was NON-organic. I ate non-organic almonds for years, but started having reactions after the new law that passed recently (that all California almonds be "pasteurized"). So, I believe my allergy is to the chemicals used on the NON-organic almonds & strawberries. I have no problems with the organic ones!