Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Ug

Ug, I just ate cooked food, and feel awful! When am I going to learn! How do you cope with cravings? Sometimes I just can't stop myself.

Comments

• daniefondaniefon Raw Newbie

I think you deal with them patiently. What I mean is the longer you eat raw, the more you will start to crave raw foods instead of cooked foods. And, give yourself a break, you'll feel better physically soon enough, so don't punish yourself, it'll only prolong you feeling bad. Drink a good green smoothie (if you like them) for breakfast and I bet that will help you feel better. Then, I would talk myself through it, remind yourself why you chose to be raw and why, tell yourself that you will enjoy beating your cravings more than you will enjoy indulging next time. Many years ago, before I was raw, I was in the mall and stopped at one of those "bakeries" in the food court. I bought this big chocolate brownie. I was also trying to diet. When I got in the car, I really felt bad about it, but I also had spent $5 on it. I threw the brownie out the window without touching it. I felt so good about myself and told myself that it was better to throw away $5 than to eat it. I will always remember that, I wouldn't have remembered eating it, but I remember "conquering" it. So, when I find myself wanting to eat something that I don't really want to, I remind myself how good it feels to beat it.

By the way, I am not condemning eating cooked food, I am offering you suggestions about how to stick with the choices you''ve made.

• WoW! Thank you so much. I bet I will feel better when I conquer myself :)

I bet the more I do it the better at it I will get. I will try to always remember how stuffed and yucky I feel now!

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

Move forward and try to make food choices that will help you feel well. Maybe if you partake in cooked food, make sure it's something that doesn't make you feel horrible!

Chin up. :)

• pixxpixx Raw Master

Lovin' the advice you've gotten so far...so ditto!

Also, I have noticed that if I get it out of my head, and into my body, I get past the bad cravings. In other words- Brownies are a great example! I used to adore chocolate - chocoholic in fact!- and every now and again, I see something, like a brownie, and I think Oooooh, I'd love one of those! But I have come to tell myself, do I really want one? How would I feel if I ate one? Did I enjoy the last one I had?

My brain tends to make me think of past experiences with whatever item; I used to love those! I want one! But, my taste buds have changed a lot in the past two years. I still eat what I want. If I really want a brownie, I have had it. Then the next time, I have only a few bites shared with a friend. The last time (a couple weeks ago) I saw something chocolate I thought I wanted, I asked myself those questions above. I got it out of my head, and imagined it in my mouth-- what does it taste like, and how do I feel. Easy peasy- I really didn't want it any more. If you still do, then let yourself have some of it- but don't binge! Eventually, the way you feel right now ("I just ate cooked food, and feel awful!") *will* be a deterrent.

Also, think on this: Does your *body* feel awful right now, or are you just beating yourself up over eating something "bad", and therefore *feel* awful? Feel good about what you eat! It either is nourishing your body (there are *some* nutrients in "healthy" cooked foods), or educating your mind (learning what does not do well for you, or makes you ill). Nothing to feel emotionally bad about.

:~)

• kiwiandme- Don't feel bad. Today is a brand a new day and you can start fresh! Lulushka had some really great advice. I too recommend Natalia Rose's book. I've read it and it has helped me a lot!

There are times I walk down the bread aisle and think, "OOOOH MY GODD! I want BREAD!" but then I walk away from it. Then I come home and can't stop thinking about it. This happened to me just last week so during my next visit to the store, I bought some manna bread, only one loaf though because I know how i can be! I ate half a loaf in one sitting, but decided not to beat myself about it. I woke up the next morning and had my usual breakfast smoothie and put the other half of the manna bread in the freezer. It's okay, don't beat yourself up! We all do these things and pick right back up and it's fine :)