How to know a Coconut is ripe?

How do you know a coconut is ripe? and I bought white coconut from whole foods not the brown one so I think the brown surface

was cut off but how do you use it? and crack it ?

Oh yeah how long can it be refrigerated before it considered bad?

I could use some help in this department

Comments

• LaEnsaladaLaEnsalada Raw Newbie

I need coconut help too!

I just cracked open a brand new coconut to find it completely rancid, it smelled horrible like blue cheese.

I'm also don't really know how to get the coconut meat out from the shell.

• pixxpixx Raw Master

Yes, some has been removed, but probably not what you are thinking. The "brown" (the hard surface most think of, on a coconut) is not cut off, it is under the white. :)

Here is a video on how to open one (it is the easiest way I have seen, and I have seen many online). This is the way I open them; it really is easy.

As for "ripe"-- I am not sure what you are wanting. Young Thai coconuts aren't really "ripe", they are "young" and jelly like. A mature coconut is hard and fibrous (and sold with the brown exposed.) The young coconut should be ready to eat, right after getting it. Unless of course, it's gone bad.

As for rancid ones- I'm not real sure how one tells until it's open. But it is wise to only buy ones that are refrigerated.

• Thank you that is great advice! and I will check out the video

• LilEarthMuffinLilEarthMuffin Raw Newbie

pixx thanks for the advice - i have been curious about this for a loooong time : )

does anyone have any thoughts on the coconut water they sell on the market such as "vita-coco" or things like that? thanks