Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Hello, Everyone!

Comments

• sweetpeasweetpea Raw Newbie

Hi everyone from bonnie Scotland. Everyone is friendly here and I really love coming here and sharing info and recipes. I’ve been raw for 6 years now and have completely changed. I am happier, more creative and have noticed an increasing awareness of the natural world. This site rocks!! 

• hello all

I am in brisbane australia. I have been reading and eating lots about raw since I discovered Anne Wigmore’s books about twenty years ago. I have grown wheat grass and sprouts intensively at various times and have all the equipment – dehydrator, wheatgrass juicer, blender etc. I have been through a really intense couple of years where it was just work work and I have neglected the more important parts of my life. the result is poor health and poor mental / spiritual well being… so time to start living fully again. Changing my diet is an important step – so here I am. One of the problems I found was not having tasty recipes to make up my staple diet and looking around here I can not have that as an excuse any more. I am very glad to have found this site and look forward to getting on with it.

• Hello, I started raw foods just recently. I did a fast on April 1st (started doing fasts at the beginning of 2007. Recent one has been my fifth) and lasted 22 days. I then started on raw foods. My body definetly noticed the change (maybe it is because I had not eaten for 22 days). I grew up eating meat, although my father grew vegetables of his own, and did not like chemical pesticides, so he did not use them. Whatever we did not have in the garden we bought from a local produce market. Both my mom and dad did not like having Many ‘processed foods’ in the house. I do not know if having processed food or not in the house helped, but I really enjoyed fruits and some vegetables at a younger age. Now I can not think of a fruit or vegetable I do not like. I grew weary of meat at a very early age, especially because my father had several friends that owned farm estates in Morgan Hill and Napa. And when those families had a large event like a wedding, 50th birthday, or a quinca

• Dear Kandace & Ray,

I would like to express my appreciation for this really wonderful and well organized website. It has truly made a huge difference in my like. For the past month I have been transitioning to raw. At this point I am about 80 to 85%. Twice in the past month I have indulged myself in a vegetarian, whole wheat crust pizza and twice I have indulged in cheese. The important thing is that I know I will get to 100% raw.

The best part of this experience has been the change in my relationship to food. I truly love making my smoothies in the morning cut with greens. I am adding bigger handfuls of greens to my smoothies everyday. The important thing is that I truly love preparing food now and love to entertain with raw foods. I truly appreciate the nourishment that I am putting into my body. And I feel so much better!

Once again thank you so much for this really outstanding website that provides a forum for all of that are new to discuss what we are experiencing with those who have been raw much longer. This is my favorite place to come everyday.

• Hi I have been vegan for over 10 years and was born and raised in CA and met some wonderful people.I am in Tri City WA State now. As a child I rather eat veg salads and fruits and was allergic to cow milk but of course was weened off of soy milk back onto cow milk and had asthma for years.I had high cholesterol at age 16 from eating Mc Donalds almost every day.I spent most of my teen years at the Dr doing all kinds of test since I was always feeling sick and had many hormone problems. I went vegan since the family health history was kinda bad and I always felt kinda sick after eating any kind of animal product.I also suffer from anxiety,panic and I found that eating raw has calmed this a lot in me.My asthma is gone. I am not sure if I will be 100% raw but this site I am sure will help me with some recipes and food choices I can live with or should I say can’t live with out. I am allergic to bell peppers how crazy is that.

• hi Pinner, Welcome to the site. I use to know someone else (ex-boyfriend’s mom) who was allergic to pepper too. I have my own food allergies too (it’s a long list, it’s mentioned on my profile).

• Hi everyone, I have posted a few times but just realized that I never actually introduced myself, how rude of me!

I am originally from the Boston area but after a lot of traveling I have been living in Adelaide, Australia for the past few years (anyone else who lives in Australia seems to view this with incredulity, but I think Adelaide is one of those places you just kind of end up, and it’s lovely).

I have had various health problems over the years, particularly stomach issues, and also struggled with eating disorders. For years I’ve been obsessed with food, health, exercise and nutrition, but I also love the flavor and cuisine aspect of food. In fact I have a master’s degree in gastronomy, I do freelance food writing, give tours of the Adelaide Central Markets, tutor a gastronomy course at Adelaide Uni, and I am a waitress at a fine restaurant!

I became interested in raw foods after meeting some inspiration raw foodists several months back. I did a lot of reading and started eating partly raw right away. I eat almost 100% raw at home, but I do still really love trying different foods and I don’t like to be limited when I go out. However, right now I am in the middle of eating 100% raw all the time for 30 days (I am also doing a liver cleanse and have taken a hiatus from drinking alcohol, it was starting to feel excessive but maybe that’s just the American in me reacting to the amount of alcohol that Aussies can put away).

I have noticed that I feel physically and emotionally better when I eat 100% raw. Even when I eat cooked food, I try to avoid bread, pasta and other dense grain-based foods because they make me feel sluggish. I think that eating raw gives me more energy and keeps my emotions more even. Most of the time I am able to think of eating raw in terms of what I’m gaining rather than in terms of what I’m giving up, but I’m still playing with this question in the long run.

• Hello fellow foodists, I’m from SINGAPORE! Its a pleasure & priviledge to join this forum & I’m grateful to the Creators!

I have been mostly raw for the last 2 years, & 100% since Mar 08. Now I’m loving every minute of my new life! Newbies – if you need help, write to me anytime; anyone else in the raw family – I will be delighted to share my humble knowledge & chef skills on raw food! Cheers to abundance, vibrant health & an empowered mind!

• Hi everyone, I am from Montreal Canada and I have been vegetarian for few years and gone raw (90%) few months ago. In addition to this I also follow strictly food combining principles which I found really important. I recently “discovered” this site and I like it, I feel home for some reason..you know what I mean right?

• Hello all! I came here a couple weeks ago researching the raw lifestyle which I knew nothing about. I have been a pescetarian for the last 5 years, and a vegetarian for 10 years prior to that. But I wasn’t feeling very good about myself health wise. Oh, and I drink like a fish. But or course, that’s not the problem ;) Anyway, I saw a picture of myself someone else took and I felt like I looked pregnant. I mean, WTF is that? I wasn’t obese, even huge. Just pushing 200 lbs on a 5’10” frame. So I thought, hmm, maybe I’m just clogged up somehow. Internet search – Dr Natura comes up. Buy the stuff and lose my “stomach shelf”. Sweet! the road to recovery. However, I feel like that photo one year later and figure there must be something more I can do. I discover the Master Cleanse in my search for a liver cleanse (drink like a fish remember?) and decided to give it a go. I stuck to that sucker for nearly 40 days (38 and change) and realized it was the best thing I have ever done for myself in my life! Naturally, I didn’t want to go back to old habits, so researched new options for eating and living, and discovered raw. And I’m friggin addicted! Well for about 5 days now. Fortunately I live in Portland, OR and have tons of resources I can tap into. But growing up in the midwest, it’s no wonder I didn’t discover any of this sooner.

My goal is to create a few recipes you will all want to devour over and over. ;) Thanks!

Raw Daddy – very touching story!

• Hello everyone. My name is Justin and I just moved to Missouri.

I been 80% raw for 2.5 years and 99% raw for 2 month

• Hello everybody! :)

My name is Agnes, I’m 23 years old, married and currently live in Las Vegas, NV. Originally I’m from Germany, though.

I’ve been mainly raw for three months now, becoming more and more raw as I go along. The affects it has on my health, attitude and life in general are amazing and I love it!

I came across “raw veganism” more by accident! In February my husband and everybody around me became very sick with that terrible flu that was going around. I really didn’t want to catch it! So I started eating more vegetables and fruit. And – as you probably guessed – I didn’t catch it! At the same time I saw an interesting report on different “diet fads” and they also mentioned “raw veganism” (which is kind of an insult, isn’t it). Anyway, I caught my interest and for fun I looked it up online one day. Well, that’s how it started. :D I got hooked right away and read more and more and more about it. My husband thought I was crazy. But the more I told him what I found out about it, the more he started changing his mind. Which is huge, as he used to be a big meat-eater and salad-hater!! Nowadays he eat a lot of raw along with me. Who would have thought, he even likes salads now! :D Admittedly he’ll never be as raw as I am, but he supports me very much, which I appreciate.

I love being raw and I tell everybody about it who wants to know more. :) It healed the stomach problems I had (upset stomach, constipation or diarrhea) and the eye inflammations (inflammation of the iris, you guessed it, no fun at all…) that kept coming back for “no reason, just pure stress” as they told me.

I’m so glad to have found this site! I’ve been reading it a lot during this last week and finally joined today. I’m looking forward to being a part of the conversations now.

Raw rocks!! :)

• Hello everyone!

My name is Rebecca. I am an artist living in Houston, TX. I currently work at The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston and am a student there as well.

My transition to healthier eating has been a slow one. It started with my disgust of the fast food industry. I started eating organic food when I discovered that hormones were the cause of my sudden weight gain. I have always been a fan of veggies so becoming mostly vegetarian was relatively easy. I happened upon this site when searching for a cleanse that seemed reasonable and I wish I had come across it sooner. I had already been eating some raw meals for a while but I was craving more variety and those cravings were holding me back. I am looking forward to making a raw diet a bigger part of my life because I have already noticed the changes in my health. I have more energy, I have lost weight and my mood has improved.

I hope that those around me will see the changes in my life and make the transition as well. This site is a powerful tool and I am grateful to have found such a dynamic and enthusiastic group.

• Hi to everyone from Chicago, I’m Katya and I am completely new to raw. I’ve been trying to ramp up the amount of raw fruits and veggies in my diet slowly from about 50% to 80-90% starting, oh… last week. I am really curious where this is going to take me, whether I can afford it on a grad student budget, and whether I will experience the dramatic weight loss, detox, and renewed energy that raw foodists talk about. I’m also hoping that this way of eating will alleviate my chronic morning headaches and mild depression. We’ll see…

I was briefly a vegetarian in college, and then lived with a vegetarian boyfriend for a while so was a de facto vegetarian, but I never thought I could give up cheese. Although I have periodically given up dairy because it causes weird ear-popping sensations (or its absence causes them to go away), I have never been permanently successful at it. I definitely feel better after a 100% raw meal than after eating cooked food – the ‘food coma’ is so pronounced! And now that summer is here it is a lot easier to get good fruits and veggies that are in season and taste like themselves :)

• Yo! I’m Chelsey, I’m 17, and live in MN! and I just went raw like a month ago, and am absolutely loving it! it’s so much fun trying out all this new stuff and eating such beautiful food!

• YARRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Hello! I am in Berlin. I will be in New YORK CITY SOON and after that MAYBE HAWAIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!! I plan on dis-solving people’s wacky attitudes (include the ones I played with before). Meditate! Clean yo mind! Pick the im-possible goal wholey holy! word.

• I’m 32 years old and have done the vegetarian diet on/off for quite for some time, but I’ve only recently transitioned to being a high raw vegan. I’m very excited about this. My health has already shown an improvement with energy and overall well-being. I’m determined to make this thing stick for me… I’m glad this website exists! (I’ve learned a lot).

• DreaDrea Raw Master

This site is great, I’ve been here all day! Thanks for thinking of a place for newbies and oldies to come and help, support and teach eachother. This is a wonderful community place!

I dont want to type long ,so, I’m Dre’a (smile)

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

My name is Diana Par-Due I’m from Kansas City, Missouri. I did raw food to prepare for a detox juice fast and I loved it so much I decided to keep it up! It’s been amazing and this site has been soooo helpful with ideas and recipes!

Thank you!

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

I was a cook vegan for nine months. My body retaliated so went yogurt vegetarian, for 9 years. Toward the last 3 years of this time I was getting tired, and age related problems. I picked up a raw recipe book by Cousins and became raw vegan. That was 3+ years ago. The so call age related problem have gone (unless I cheat). I have learned not to cheat. The old SAD foods are really sad.So why endure the pain for junk. I do love to make the unusual and hard recipes. Even tho I am the only raw foodist at home. We all are special, so treating ourselves with the best foods is only reasonable.

I am 100% raw.Also, from the Oregon coast.

• My name is Misty I live in Oak Harbor, WA with my partner an three kitties. My partner an I have been raw vegan for three months and some pretty amazing things have happened. I’ve lost 40 pounds, my arthritis is gone, my gall bladder is no longer bothering me, depression is gone, and I feel like a teenager again (I’m 29). I love raw food!

• Hi, I grew up a vegetarian eating no sugar or even vegan junk (soy cheese was a yearly treat!) and was raw as an 8 year old but my mum took me off as apparently my sisters and I had dark circles under our eyes (despite drinking daily veggie juices). As a teenager I indulged in all the junk I couln’t have at home, but then naturally turned back into raw veganism and juice fasting at 22 while in Spain. I continued to be 100% raw (I was insanely strict) for a whole year, but back in the cold british winter I started introducing some warm cooked food (oats, beans) until I was completely weaned off it a couple years later. I now eat a mixture of cooked and raw, balancing what I feel is necessary for me and for my “antojos” (cravings/wants!). I am now living in Peru and ceviche (raw fish) is an incredible local dish that I feel has amazing helth benefits. Of cooked food I include – I love quinoa (sprouted and lightly heated), and ususally have a filling lunch of soup, or rice and beans for lunch. The good thing is that almost everything is fresh, local, and exotic! Right now its winter in Lima and its harder to eat cold. Breakfast is always fruit and greens and dinner is usually a shake, raw dessert or snack. In tropical weather I am normally 80%-90% raw. I love this site for the recipe inspirations.

• beate64beate64 Raw Newbie

Hey there, I live in Saskatchewan, south of Saskatoon, Canada, but am originally from Germany, came to Canada in 1999. Am married with a Canadian and we live on a farm 20 minutes south of Saskatoon.

I am mostly raw since 2 – 3 months together with my husband, and his brother has a t-shirt stating ‘Real Men eat Beef’! Yup, we’re on the prairies ;))

We are vegetarians for quite a few years and then transitioned to vegan, going to to raw was just a natural state for me. I love the recipes and the wonderful dishes, I lost 10 pounds, feel energetic, have less to none cravings, eat lesser, am faster full. Its just been a great journey and I love it, despite being a ‘freak’ for others ;)) even my own family ;))

Anyone out there who is close to where I live??? Please let me know and get in touch :))

I’d love to meet someone who loves to ride horses but does not own one… would like to share mine (have 3).

If not, let me know anyway if you live close by :))

• Hello Everybody,

I am new to Raw – I managed to eat raw food for about 2 months last year and I walked a lot – I lost 20kg in that 2 months and I felt great. I want to get that feeling back but I am struggling to get back into it again. I am very keen to get back to where I was, so I am spending a lot of time on sites like this one and learning as much as I can. I have ordered a dehydrator, blender and juicer and I am waiting for them to get here (should have been here 2 days ago). I expect that once my toys are here and I can make a lot more meals for myself and increase the variety of my eating, Raw will be easy. I have ordered a few books and DVDs as well and can’t wait for it all to get here so I can try out all of those fabulous looking recipes I am finding here and on other sites and books. Some of the recipes on the Gone Raw site just look amazing and words can’t express how cool it is that people like you all are out there and sharing their knowledge and experience to help people like me. I will be truly happy when I have learned enough that I can start to share my knowledge and teach other people how they too can go raw and feel great.

If there are any members that live in Australia – particularly anywhere fro the Gold Coast to the Sunshine Coast – please contact me on sean@ptcab.com or call me on 041 719 4533 – I would love to get a group of like minded people together to help and support each other. If anybody else would like to contact me, regardless of where you live, please do – I would love to have regular contact with any other raw food enthusiasts. If any of you are travelling to Australia and would like a local to show you around – call me ! I would love to take you around my small part of this beautiful country of ours. From outside Australia, dial +61 417 194 533.

Thanks again to those who put this site together and thanks to all of the members who contribute – either recipes, advice or just being here and letting others know that they are not alone or weird. I have people around me who think I’m weird for eating this way and they keep telling me how to do things better and I am sure I am not alone with this, so stay strong and keep getting the message out. We may never change the world, but together we can show a lot of people how they can get healthy and happy and live life the way it should be lived.

Bye for now – I hope to hear from some of you soon.

Sean

• Hey everybody! I’m 20 years old from Ontario, Canada. I became vegetarian when I was 8, vegan when I was 17 and raw when I was 19! I’m kinda the oddball in my family, since my family are hardcore meat and processed food eaters… they didn’t start actually eating vegetables until last year when my mom’s husband was diagnosed with diabetes groan It’s been rather difficult growing up veggie in a non-veggie family, particular in terms of emotions – I find those who eat meat and tons of processed, sugary foods get angry a lot easier and aren’t as sensitive and open with their emotions. Anyone else find that?

Anyway, I came to veganism/raw living after I got sick when I was 16 and landed in the hospital and had surgery. Since then, healthy living has been vitally important. I follow a low-fat raw diet and absolutely love green smoothies. I’m also NUTS about berries – strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, you name it! This site is my no.1 for amazing raw recipes, so thanks to everyone who posts them! :)

• Hi everyone! I’m 20 years old, I’m a student at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. I’ve been a vegetarian for a year now and I’m looking to go for a healthier lifestyle. I really want to try to go vegan but I don’t I won’t be able to truly go vegan until I’m completely on my own since my parents absolutely won’t accept it (they had a really hard time supporting me become a vegetarian last year). So while I’m at school I really want to try buying all raw foods (they’re my favorite kind) and then when I go home for breaks I’ll try my best to be vegan but I won’t feel bad about having a little treat (my stomach just probably won’t like me). I’m not fully committing to being either vegan or raw but I’m going to try my best and I’m hoping the amazing recipes on this site will help.

• hi.. recently read the 80/10/10 diet and loved it. i’m currently veg*n , and interested in having more a lot more raw foods in my diet.

• Hello

I’m new here and to eating raw in general. I’m a young 26 year old black guy living out of Greensboro, North Carolina. I’ve been a vegetarian/vegan for about 6 months or so and then made the transition into going raw. I’m nowhere near being a cook so I’ve been mostly just eating vegetables alone or in salads. I’m a pretty small guy and I’ve been losing weight too fast.

I guess I’m just looking for help in this new lifestyle of mine. I’m sure this isn’t the thread to ask in but if anyone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate. Thanks and it’s nice to meet everyone.

• Hello.

I’m 24 years old and live in Melbourne, Australia. I’ve decided to turn raw for my health and to kick start living a more healthier life.

I enjoy gardening and preparing fresh foods and farmer’s markets. I just finished a year at culinary school.

• Hello everyone! My name is Ashley & I’m from Kansas City (Go Par-Due!!!) I have recently been gobbling up everything I can get my hands on about the raw liefstyle & am loving it! I’ve had terrible GI problems since I was 11 & in the last few years, they seem to have taken over my happy spirit. I think that raw found it’s way to me right when I needed it. It is unbelievable how awesome the vibes are from just reading what you great people write! Just the idea of this lifestyle has given me more hope of a reprieve from this dis-ease than anything I’ve come across in years! I hope that I will be walking with many of you on this journey for some time to come! :)