Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Favorite raw vs. cooked veggies

blueyzblueyz Raw Newbie

Hi everyone,

I am just curious what else there is out there I haven't tried yet. I am finding there are a few veggies I much prefer raw to cooked, and wonder how I ever ate them cooked! Perhaps it is the season(summer in NorthEast USA for me) but I have found I LOVE raw corn. I only eat it raw seasonally and from local farms so for the next month or so will be in sweet corn heaven. My body also does much better on raw than cooked corn. so I'm glad about that!

What veggies have found you love raw instead of cooked? What are your favorite ways to eat them?

Comments

• LaEnsaladaLaEnsalada Raw Newbie

Spinach!!

I use to hate spinach when I ate it cooked, it was all nasty, shriveled, soggy and disgusting. I love raw spinach in salads or green smoothies, the taste of it raw is just so much better.

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

Carrots & peppers

• i also used to haate spinach, the texture was disgusting cooked. i love it raw :)

• I tried cooked beets once when I was a kid but hated them---they smelled funny. I like them raw now though, and they are so pretty in salads.

I like raw cauliflower but raw broccoli (not smothered in dip of some kind;-) is too tough for me to get down. I'd really like to find a way of eating raw broccoli without dehydrating it since I don't have a dehydrator. Maybe processing it up really small? Hmm.

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

formosa, I'm the same with broccoli. I love it cooked, but not crazy about it when it's raw.

• pixxpixx Raw Master

I always (since I was a kid) preferred broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, squash, spinach, & cabbage raw. Since finding "raw" as a diet choice, I have found I love Brussels sprouts raw! They are yummy shredded, with other veggies & an Asian dressing.

Oh, and I never liked kale or chard cooked. But raw they're yummy!

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

Oh yeah, it's got to be spinach. I'll never be able to eat it cooked again!

Carrots are much nicer raw too.

Don't mind most other veg lightly steamed though.

• wichtenwichten Raw Newbie

I agree with spinach too! I hated it cooked- so icky! Greens are one of those things you gotta have raw.

I prefer beets cooked- not sure why. The only way i like them raw is when i juice them. mmm beet juice.

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

i love broccoli both ways... same with spinach. i never had a problem with eating tons of veggies cooked or raw. i do like raw tomatoes though. tomato sauce and ketchup are ridiculously SWEET to me. i also like celery when it's not cooked.

• pixxpixx Raw Master

"tomato sauce and ketchup are ridiculously SWEET to me."

The stuff pre-made, from the store, typically has sugar added. In some cases, quite a lot!

• Definitely JICAMA! It's so versatile, I eat it as dessert with cinnamon or make cajun "french fries" from it... Pain in the but to peel though.

• I still prefer roasted red peppers, I find raw a bit bitter.

I know they're not a vegetable but I have always loved raw mushrooms. mmmmm.

• blueyzblueyz Raw Newbie

I"m not crazy about raw mushrooms, well unless they have been marinated but plain they do nothing for me.

I so agree on jicama, and funny it is something I wouldn't even imagine cooking at all. It is so nice and crisp, I also have found I like chayote squash. Light tasting but with a nice cruch to them.

Beets I like both ways, raw is nice in a grated salad but I prefer juiced. I have some golden beets to try from farmers market, I've only had them cooked before so will be interested to see how they are raw vs. red beets.

Beet GREENs on the other hand make a nice raw salad if massaged with just a bit of oil and seasoning.