Hi everyone, my name is Kristina and I'm a 25-year-old pesco-vegetarian.
I am interested in pursuing a raw food vegan diet, and have noticed some discrepancies in what the makeup of a raw diet should look like. I'm sure some of these answers are somewhere on this site, but here are my most pressing questions anyway.
1. What is the ideal fat content of a raw diet? For instance, many recipes on here require cups worth of nuts, while the 80/10/10 diet barely allows for half an avocado's worth of fat per day. Is there a happy medium?
2. What is the ideal fruit/veggie carbs vs. other carbs of a raw diet? Some raw food diets rely solely on fruits and vegetables for carbs (again, such as the 80/10/10), while others include sprouted grains such as quinoa, wheat berries, etc.
3. What is the deal with raw milk products such as raw goat's milk cheese? Does this count as a raw food? Also, are there raw soy milks, nut milks, rice milks, or hemp milks, or are they all cooked?
4. What is the typical way people go raw? I read that some people incorporate a raw food diet 1-2 days per week at first, and then gradually increase. Others go cold turkey and jump right in. What's the best way?
5. I have a Magic Bullet blender, which I'm sure will quickly bite the dust after making green banana smoothies every day. However, I also can't afford a $500 Vitamix blender. Is there a cheaper blender that will do for the beginnings of a raw diet?
6. Do raw foodists take vitamins and supplements as needed or is this not ok?
7. I began today, following mostly the 80/10/10 guidelines. My menu is/will be as follows (looks a little strange time-wise because I had the day off today):
Lunch: 2 bananas (10 oz.), 2 cups mixed greens, 1/2 cup frozen raspberries, 1 cup water in a smoothie
Snack: 15 oz. watermelon, 2 bananas (8 oz.)
Dinner: 3 cups mixed salad, 1 medium cucumber, 1 cup trimmed string beans, guacamole (1 avocado, 1/2 small white onion, 1/2 jalepeno pepper, juice from 1/2 lime, 1 clove garlic)
Dinner/after gym: 16 oz. strawberries
According to The Daily Plate (livestrong.com), this comes out to be roughly 1,100 calories, 77% carbs, 16% fat, and 7% protein. Is this ok? Not ok? Any suggestions? Is it balanced (for a raw food diet)?
8. Coffee detox. I drink a venti (3 shot) americano every morning. Today, I didn't as apparently coffee doesn't count as a raw food. However, I am in headache central right now. Any suggestions?
Maybe that's all I'll ask for now. Thanks in advance for your help! I'm excited to learn more.