Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Diatomaceous Earth

Blue_EyesBlue_Eyes Raw Master

Has anyone had any experience with using this?

Comments

• Blue_EyesBlue_Eyes Raw Master

I have ordered some and it should be here tomorrow.

hear is a link to the site

www.earthworkshealth.com

• macanoogiemacanoogie Raw Newbie

WOW - lots of great claims. Let us know if it works!!!

• wichtenwichten Raw Newbie

Yeah let us know how you like it- im very curious. I run and my knee sometimes gets a bit dodgy about it so i take MSM and thats been helpful but i would love it if i could run and never think about my knees.

• hannahmariehannahmarie Raw Newbie

what?! my mom used to get diotomaceous earth (aka DE) for the pool. The filter or something. I am going to read about it, but that just doesn't sound like something i would want to put in my body. :-/

what are you planning on taking it for?

The website is specific in explaining the difference between food grade DE (what they sell) vs. the type you would put in a pool (which is hazardous). I'm a bit skeptical, but interested and curious...

My husband is a home brewer and says food grade DE can also be used to filter beer. It seems to have lots of uses.

After reading the testimonials on the website, my coworker has decided to order some to try for her dog who is suffering from arthritis and a mysterious recurring bout of diarrhea. And yes - for other animal lovers - her vet has been involved in trying to figure that part out for almost a year now. I'll let you know if the little doggie seems better after a few weeks. Wish her luck!

• malchusmommalchusmom Raw Newbie

Someone told me about this long time ago. I was kind of confuse and really didn't know what to beleive after reading all the info. A lady gave me a full glass of the powder and i stil have not touch it,is sitting in my kitchen cabinet for 8 moths now. Let us know how you did and the dog.

• The earthworks link mentions that silica is a mineral SADly lacking in today's diet. That may be so for most people, but those who consume mostly RAW probably get enough. Seems to me that you don't really need it. Just a thought.

• Don't you kinda wonder about the support of the seller's claims being "testimonials?" "EVERYONE had lower blood pressure" "Everyone had lower cholesterol"

Are there no studies or scientific back up? Your going to essentially eat dirt based on someone saying it cures:

osteoporosis

skin issues

alzheimer's

tooth decay

lung issues

GI disorder

vaginal ulcers, mastitis, improved vaginal discharge

hemorrhoids

body odor

tinnitus

vertigo

insomnia

prevent TB

RA

CAD

Oh...it also CURES CANCER- btw.

I call BS. Show more than "all the people they asked" as proof. There is nothing to show the harmful effects of ingesting diatoms/silica (otherwise known as sand) either. No studies to back any claims. No real scientific data. You have to question these claims. Nothing cures EVERYTHING. All these ailments have different etiologies! no one holds this company or any other sellers of diatomaceous earth to ANY standards of proof of efficacy because the claims they make are underscored with there disclaimer that NONE of the statements have been evaluated. Therefore neither has the safety. Like Zycam....made claims, not evaluated, people lost their sense of smell.

I don't mean to come off as a jerk, but really...there isn't ANY skepticism??

OK, I am trying it for many reasons, skin, hair and nails being a biggie. Parasite reduction is always a plus

and hopefully it will work for my husband hair (he doesn't want to hear about the little round area in the back lol) and age spots, getting rid of those will take a good 20 years off of him. He always looked soooo young before those hit. used to tease him about always looking twelve lol. We are now 46, and the mirrors are getting a bit scary so we need to start helping our skin out fast!!!!

It has arrived and it looks like a bag of flower, not silky as a flour tho. I put one heaping Tablespoon in water to see how it tastes, not to bad but I will differently be using something other than water, only has a very slight taste hard to describe and no not like dirt. so it will not be hard to disguise in any liquid with even a slight flavor

so if it does not kill me and I see some improvement with anything I will be having my daughters do it also.

• swayzeswayze Raw Newbie

Food grade DE is great! I do not use it on myself or consume it, but on my pets to keep fleas and ticks away. It's just the fossilized bodies of plant organisms in a powder form. It penetrates the bug's body and dries out their insides.

I had fleas in my house earlier this summer and after a few days of using DE on my 4 pets and on my carpets, the fleas were gone! Now I just put some on the animals every few days. No more fleas!

Some farmers add water to it and spray it on their trees as an organic pesticide. :)

Oh, and I don't use Frontline or any other harmful flea prevention drug on my pets.

Remember to look for FOOD GRADE...not the stuff that people use in swimming pools!

EDIT: Just wanted to add that I would NEVER eat the stuff or fee it too my pets. Bananas and a side of fossilized plants? I don't think so.

Swayze

judym

I guess this is day six for both myself and my oldest daughter, day 3 for hubby. So far we have not felt any differences but then I guess it would take time. i am assuming that it must clean us out first. What I have noticed is that my BMs are smellier.

• I have used it for over a year as a natural dewormer, detoxifier and it has done wonders for my immune system! No flu shot for me. I also have used it to deworm and deflea my cats and horses. No chemicals is what I like the best. I found diatomaceous earth in Canada. British Columbia I believe. The site is www.diatomearthoutwest.ca. There is alot of information on all its uses including human consumption, pet and livestock as well as horticultural. I believe it to be a miracle!

• We use DE for a lot of the things everyone has mentioned but mainly it pulls toxins out of the body especially some of the heavy metals but one thing I like to use it for is for an upset stomach--calms it right down or if you feel like you have gotten food poisoning--binds the toxins quickly. Would be really good to use if you had the stomach flu or something.

I've been using DE since sometime in August and it has completely taken control of my eczema and reduced the pain I used to feel in my joints. I've taken about 1 1/2 tablespoons each morning. To satisfy the skeptic in me, I'll "quit" every once in a while - for about a week - to see what changes with my body. Each time my eczema flares up and I feel more aches & pains. I love taking DE and will continue to use it.

BTW - I ordered from www.earthworkshealth.com - thanks Blue_Eyes...

judym
  • In Canada I used www.diatomearthoutwest.ca the business owner was friendly and I got my order really quick.. They sell the Food Grade DE it is so awesome and works really well ...Company is called Nature's Gaia Company 250-212-6648. Good Luck!

• In Canada I used www.diatomearthoutwest.ca the business owner was friendly and I got my order really quick.. They sell the Food Grade DE it is so awesome and works really well ...Company is called Nature's Gaia Company 250-212-6648. Good Luck!

Update on this:

I used it when I hurt my shoulder real bad, hurt for 6 months and I could not raise my arm up and made it very hard to shower and dress, I remembered I had DE and started taking it, in less then a week I was able to move my arm and at two weeks the pain was gone, continued for a few months every time i missed a day there would be pain but would be gone as soon as I took it for another day, after about 3 months stopped taking it and all was wonderful no more recurring pain.

My ex mother in law started taking it says the arthritis in her hands and back is gone as long as she takes it.

Friend of mine started taking it and finally no more IBS as long as she is on it.

Note they are both SAD eaters so it is not just combined with eating raw.

currently have a friend of my son in law trying it for his dog but have not heard back from him yet.

Hi Blue Eyes - I just wanted to add to your updated comments because of the similarity in my family. Both my father and his uncle, each 65+, had serious shoulder pain before DE. Now they move more easily, free of pain, and are walking infomercials (I wish I could have earned commission)! I realize testimonials from the seller's site could have been exaggerated by some customers for the free DE, but the results we've experienced are real.

That is great macanoogie, I also have great nails when I continue taking it. Just have to get on myself because i stop taking it and then my nails go back to being thin and break

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

Diatomaceous Earth has been a massive help to my hair, skin and nail health, not only that but i had very weak bones/cartilage in the jaw and it has increased the toughness and strength of those. Silica which is what DE contains is very important nutrient for bone health, without it calcium won't enter the bone matrix.

• Its okay to be pessimistic about things that have a million testimonials. I, HOWEVER I have been using the stuff for a while now and I have no clue about low blood pressure or cholesterol because I don't worry about that but I DO know that my energy is up, my husbands hair is growing back, and my skin is getting clear and soft. I just drink two tablespoons in the morning and go on with my day. I have read quite a few SCIENCE based studies,(I'm not even gonna bother looking it up for you, if you want to you can find them) not just silly website claims and I feel pretty confident with DE's ability to do what they say AND be safe. And you say "it cures cancer" like you don't believe cancer can be cured....maybe you are just not READY for the idea? there are MANY different cures for cancer, I would not put it past DE to be able to do it too. Silica isn't just sand, without silica life would not exist. its is one of the building blocks of our bodies, and I did NOT just get that info from a manufacturers site. It really doesn't say it cures EVERYTHING. You must not really have an idea of how many diseases or ailments there actually are, because a list of 15 to 20 things in my book does not constitute EVERYTHING. Besides, what it is supposed to do is balance things in your body that create an environment for your BODY to HEAL ITSELF. Its kinda the point, like raw food. its a fraction of the entire list. By the way, I'm not just joe shmoe over here, I am actually intensely studying to become a Holistic Practitioner so I have DONE my research on quite a few things like DE.

seriously, I an also not trying to be a jerk either, and I definitely understand where you are coming from as I had my doubts about DE as well. However, as with ALL things, do your OWN research and do what feels right FOR YOU.

• ninahninah Raw Newbie
    Blue_Eyes said:

Has anyone had any experience with using this?

I began using this a week ago. On my honor,I feel so much better. I have energy!! My GERD hasn't flared up since I began taking it.I know there are a lot of claims regarding DE.But  ,I know how "I" feel and the difference is amazing to me. I also sleep better. Usually average 4 hours rest a night..Have had 7 hours sleep every night. I added a TBLSP of this to my shampoo. Used no conditioner and my hair (if I do say so.. LOL) looks really nice. Soft ,manageable.  Bowel habits are so much better. (Hope that's not too much info.) My daughter has taken it for quite some time and swears by it.I just never got around to trying it. But almost 70 and was really dragging.This has made quite a big difference. Highly recommend trying it. If you are on channel blockers for blood pressure,my pharmacist says it isn't advisable to take it, medicine cancels any benefits.Other than that..it's all good.smile

ClaireT

ninah, So glad it is helping you. I have recently been giving it to my new roommate, she has cerebral palsy and also just had surgery on her shoulder. I have been putting it in her smoothies and drinks and I asked her if her arm hurt and she said it hasn't hurt in a couple of days. Mind she has only been taking it 5 days. lol, a new reformed skeptic LOL, It has also made a huge impact on her BM's. Excited to see if it helps anything else for her. I am also trying to introduce her to raw. so far she has like everything I have given her. My new 10 pound bag arrives today!!!! I always buy in bulk and pass it around. 

ClaireT
  • ninahninah Raw Newbie

Hoping it will continue to help your room mate. I have a niece with CP. That is a wonderful idea to give it to her. I am going to suggest it to my niece. I love the energy and no aches. I have osteo and some days it can be miserable.Not sure how/why it works ,but happy it does! Please ,if you don't mind posting an update on your room mate's progress with DE.

ClaireT

I will post more as she gives me updates! Let me know if your niece trys it and how it works for her.

ClaireTTammiTrue

forgot about this, she moved out several months ago, she stopped taking it so not sure what all it did do. She did not like my weird hippy ways, lol.

ClaireT