Need Best Pesto Recipe or Recipe w/ LOTS of Basil

germin8germin8 Raw Master

I tried several pesto recipes... and only liked one. It was awesome... but I can't remember which one it was.

I have tons of basil that need to be eaten and now need a good pesto recipe... or other recipe with TONS of basil.

What do you tried, tasted, and highly recommend?

Comments

• Basil pesto is very easy.

This is the basic recipe: herbs, nuts, olive oil, garlic, salt. Everything can be played with including the oil. When I am oil-free I use avocado instead of olive oil and it works perfectly, but only if you're eating it that day. If you do use oil, it must be olive oil for the flavor. Some people also make cilantro pesto or add it to the basil. There are a few different herbs known to work well.

A guideline is, for every 2 cups of basil, use 1/4 to 1/2 cup of olive oil. Add 1 clove of garlic and 1/2 tsp sea salt. Use 1/2 cup pine nuts, or play with walnuts or any nut really. Use a different one for each batch of basil. Some add 1 tablespoon of nutritional yeast. Amounts of ingredients are all according to personal taste, so taste as you go and decide what you like.

Pour more oil on top to keep it from oxidizing between uses. It will keep this way, with the oil topping, in the fridge for one month. If you are making more than you can use in one month, it can be frozen into individual portions in an ice cube tray then transferred to a freezer ziplock. Enjoy!

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Yes, basil pesto seems easy... every time I tried to guess the ingredients... something didn't taste quite right. I think I was missing the garlic. Thanks for the recipe, and best of all the tips for preserving!

• KrystaleKrystale Raw Newbie

Please know that storing raw garlic in olive oil causes botulism.

Within a day or so, I should add.

• KrystaleKrystale Raw Newbie

Basil lime sorbet. The traditional way calls for simple syrup, so I'd think you could manage with whatever your favorite really-raw (IE not agave) sweeting option is. Dates maybe, pureed with the basil perhaps, then the date soak water added.