Ouch my teeth :[

well I noticed since i have been high raw, My teeth have very sensitive, I looked in the mirror last night in the light & noticed my enamel was wearing off. Despite being high raw i haven't been feeling very good. I have been drinking lemon water everyday but i brush my teeth afterward so i couldnt imagine it being that, plus when i drink it, i avoid it touching my teeth at all costs.

But I was doing some thinking. Your body needs vitamin D to absorb calcium. Which is why everything that has calcium in it, is fortified with vit D. I have been trying really hard to eat dark greens like kale ect. everyday. and be out in the sun for vit. D. However i dont think it is working. I was doing some reading and i think what is happening is my body is pulling calcium from my bones to get what it needs because my body cant absorb the calcium im eating.

Any of you guys go through this?

So yesterday i got a liquid supplement i mix into smoothies with calcium, vitamin d & magnesium.

Another thing i would like to bring up. Have u guys tried natural calm. Its amazing. it made me feel so good! which is why i got the product above with magnesium in it. im sad though, it is only half the amount of magnesium as natural calm, so the feeling didnt last that long. I also take a multivitamin in the morning with calcium, vitamin d & magnesium but it doesnt seem to do much. dont get me wrong, i feel better when i take the multivitamin but i dont think you absorb all of it when you just have a one-a-day supplement.

am I ranting? I think i am, i'll stop now lol

Comments

• RawEverythingRawEverything Raw Newbie

Hi (excuse my english it's not my native language),

I'm curious:

"I have been drinking lemon water everyday "

lemon is a sour (almost the same as oranges) that will damage your teeth. Why drink lemon juice, drink water (or tea)??

"but i brush my teeth afterward"

People say that if you eat or drink sour fruits you damage your teeth if you brush them. don't do anything.

Mix your kale (or greens) whit fruit banana's or something. kale is very good stuff.

Your dieet isn't right if you need supplements.

Of course just my 2 cent 8).

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

megan lyne, I've had the same problem with my teeth. They've been so sensitive since becoming raw. I've been eating a lot of fruit so I don't know if it's the acid in the fruit that's causing the problem.

My teeth hurth the most when I eat or drink anything cold or brush them. The pain feels like I have cavities everywhere in my mouth. I even use Pro-Namel by Sensodyne, but it doesn't seem to help much.

• RawEverythingRawEverything Raw Newbie

Try Oil pulling and after maybe some light brushing with only water.

If you eat fruit (or spinach) your teeth are damaged. No worries do nothing and your saliva (and blood supply to the teeth) will repair your teeth. Maybe if you have real problems cut back on the citrus fruits (and spinach) and eat something you have to chew on.

(and of course don't eat anything that stiks to your teeth but I noticed that good food will not stick in or at your teeth).

• I've learned to never brush your teeth after eating/drinking citrus fruits! Wait at least half an hour. When you do brush your teeth directly after, the enamel comes of more easily because the acids desolve it. Just rinse your mouth with water, and brush later.

Oil pulling is a great option! It cleanses your teeth, strengthens your gums and has many other benefits. You have to be persistent though. Do it every day for a while.

(I've done it a couple of days, couldn't keep it up. But I noticed already my teeth became much whiter.)

• Ok thank you every one for all the advice. but let me explain...

Raweverthing: I do also drink plenty of water & herbal everyday, but i drink lemon water everyday because of it's very benefitial to health & also I have a problem with my sinuses & breathing, drinking lemon juice cures it. I also DO oil pull everyday. And i rarely have citrus fruits, except the juice of 1-2 lemons a day otherwise its hard to breath.

LauraZ. I do just rinse my mouth out. and i wait 30 minutes afterward, then brush my teeth.

Germin 8. I don't use agave but thanks anyways.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Hmmmm, this is getting trickier to figure out... :o)

Is the lemon ripe? Does calcium help tooth sensitivity?

• My thoughts are that possibly you're not varying your greens and that you may be eating too many with high oxalates. Oxalic acid will bind with minerals and make them unavailable and can cause kidney stones. However, if you combine them with a Vit C source, the Vit C will bind with them and the minerals will be more available.

I have researched minerals a bit and it is my feeling that pills are definitely not the answer. The pharms have tweaked the minerals because thy don't want to make them small enough $$$ for your body to absorb, so they add -ates....sodium picolinATE etc, and your body wants these "ates because they'r e some sort of protein carbohydrate things, so your body draws these in and will take the too-large minerals. .....I believe in ionic angstrom minerals, becausethey are as small as the minerals in nature and are electrically charged......Your body can absorb them readily. .

I am also not vegan, although I'm high raw --maybe 90 - 95% ----and I find it interesting to note that Weston Price researched to find the healthiest cultures on the planet and they had the strongest bones and nicest teeth....and they didn't even brush their teeth. They were covered in a grayish/green slime. Their mineral-rich diets protected their teeth. They were not vegan. .

But I believe if you have moral issues with eating meat etc, then with research you can obtain the necessary minerals on a vegan diet....so don't get me wrong, though not a vegan, I'm not trying to convert, or preach to you!!! Not trying to start any debates here....

My thoughts anyway. HTH,

Mary Kay

p.s. one other thing....you may want to try more limes because they are very alkalizing and do not do the enamel damage to your teeth like lemons.