Raw sources of Calcium, Magnesium, Iron, etc, etc???

I know... green leafy vegetables, and broccoli. But, really, you have to eat a ton of green leafy vegetables in order to get all the calcium you need... and then some. In fact, many now are saying that Cavities are not caused from bacteria, but a lack of nutrition. The body draws calcium and other minerals out of the bones and teeth, in order to keep vital organs functioning. It is said that to be 'healthy' on a Vegan diet, you would need to eat like 11 pounds of veggies a day.

BUT, there are other things... nuts, seeds, green powders, juices.

So, what is raw and highest in Calcium. Of all the different green powders and/or super foods available, which ones are best??And then there are protein powders... any of those any good? Lately I've been taking Kelp Powder with water... I'll tell you, that stuff is nasty. Slimy. thick, and fishy. tastes like cheap fish.

Comments

• delalunadelaluna Raw Newbie

calcium - try sesame seeds.

i'm also on the look out for good zinc and iron sources.

• I just read that raisins are a good source of iron! And I believe chia seeds are high in calcium!

• camiheartsrawcamiheartsraw Raw Newbie

A lot of the kelps aren't 100% raw, and nori isn't at all raw, but I still will eat it. I also like dulse. It seemed too strong at first and then I grew to like it. I also like wakame and hijiki. Hijiki goes great with julienned carrots, green onion with a dressing that includes ginger, olive oil, and vinegar or a dressing of cashew ginger mayo. Yum. Wakame is great on salads and I'll have it with dressing of lemon, olive oil, and fresh herbs. There are a lot of different ways to enjoy sea vegetables, but I don't think I'd like them in a shake or smoothie.

Sesame seeds are high in calcium and I'll use the milk recipe out of the complete idiot's guide to raw eating. I actually don't use too many recipes from that book, but I'm still looking it over.

• Almonds and Brazil nuts have calcium, they have zinc too. When you eat something with iron try and eat something with Vitamin C too helps with absorption. Weird thing thou iron and calcium interfere with each other for absorption so have to be careful there if you are deficient in one.