Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

supplements

daisygirldaisygirl Raw Newbie

I’ve seen so much info on supplements -are they necessary to take? My meals consist mostly of fruit, salads, nori wraps, seeds and nuts, with olive and flax seed oil in my dressings and dips. If I’m eating 80-90% raw most days, should I worry about adding more in the form of a supplement?

Comments

• kandacekandace Raw Newbie

Many people do just fine with raw foods without taking any supplements at all. Myself, I take a B12 supplement (prescribed by my naturopath who is a raw foodist herself). I don’t take any other vitamins or anything like that. It probably depends on you and your body.

• I usually recommend taking those questions to a nutritionist, personally. My nutritionist has had me on various supplements, but also has taken a blood and pH test, so she has a pretty good idea of what I need. It’s comforting to me, anyway, to know that you can measure that sort of thing.

• humanimalhumanimal Raw Newbie

Just by looking at the foods that you eat, it looks like you are lacking some b-12. Its really a shame that we cant get it from the soil anymore :( But anyways I totally agree with ray on the blood test. If you are lacking something hten the blood test with tell ya what you need.

• daisygirldaisygirl Raw Newbie

From what I understand about B-12, and problems I had with it years ago- doesn’t the body recycle it? Is there anything I can eat to help it- or does it require supplementation? I’m so glad you guys are here to help with all of this :)

• SystemSystem Raw Newbie

Your liver stocks the B12 for up to 5 years, but the stock slowly depletes as time goes by. That’s why, as my doctor explained to me, you can go for a certain period of time without B12, but after a while you need to replenish your stocks otherwise you become tired, irritable and less healthy.

Many people who take pills do not react well to it (it gives stomach aches). You can talk to your doctor about getting a B12 injection, which is done a certain number of times depending on your liver stocks. A blood test will determine this. An injection is way easier on the body, as it’s shot directly into the muscle therefore absorbed right away in the bloodstream.