Getting queasy over greens! Help!

SystemSystem Raw Newbie

Hi guys -

I'm starting my fourth month of being 100% raw. I don't know what has changed but for the past few days - including today - thinking about eating or drinking greens is making me literally queasy. My body seems to be craving liquid meals for some reason - smoothies and raw soups but I can barely get down two bites of salad or green smoothies without wanting to hurl.

Greens seem to be an essential part of being raw - am I depriving my body in some critical way by not eating them? I know the 80/10/10ers don't consume pounds of greens but I can't monomeal because I live in a safari lodge in the middle of the African bush and my food is provided by the lodge meaning I can only get a little bit of everything and not a lot of one thing so, for me, it's out of the question.

For the past few days I've been ingesting fruit smoothies (bananas, papaya, apples, oranges, pineapple, tree tomato - all in different combinations) and avocado+water-based vegetable soups but I'm worried this isn't enough.

Sorry if this is incoherent! My body is confusing me lately and I don't really know how to articulate it.

Comments

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

I eat what my body craves. Some days, I have a very small amount of greens (maybe just a few handfuls in my smoothie). Other days, I want a whole salad. Greens do have so many nutrients that you need, but if you aren't craving them/feeling satisfied when you eat them, then I would take a break.

I usually eat spinach because it doesn't have an overpowering taste. What kinds of greens can you get?

• Iceberg lettuce (which I don't eat), spinach, something called sukuma wiki - which is like spinach but bigger and tougher (I think it might be collard or kale?) and a small lettuce with soft green and red leaves and that's it! Right now I seem okay with lettuce in small quantities - it's the spinach and sukuma that are making me want to gag.

I think I will take a break and stop forcing myself to swallow things my body is clearly not liking! It's just so hard to let go of the mentality that if I don't eat them, I won't be properly nourished. I guess I'm getting my fiber, vitamins and minerals elsewhere... I've never consumed so many fruit smoothies in all my life! :)

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

Some people never touch greens in their life and while not healthy, they're fine.

I think temporarily not eating them is good if they make you queasy or don't sound appetizing. If a couple weeks go by and turn into a month, I'd at least try to get some romaine and blend that in your soup (or do the spinach and green/red leafys).

Why would you force yourself to eat them? No reason to. Our bodies don't shut down if we miss out on RDAs for the day or a week. Our bodies aren't aware of RDAs - only our minds are, and only limited human minds made up the RDAs.

• shawnieshawnie Raw Newbie

You can try rotating your greens after taking a break from them. Sometimes I eat too much spinach and can't handle even looking at it anymore. Try to not eat the same thing 3 days in a row. Or try different recipes such as wraps or whatnot.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

sometimes if i have a stomach virus or something i can get nauseous or just don't feel like eating too many greens. a few tricks i do are adding green powder to raw brownies (you can't even taste it!), green smoothies with fewer greens than i normally do, green juice with apple or ginger to mask the green taste. i also love sunflower sprouts because they are sweet to me. clover sprouts are neutral tasting typically.

good luck!