chickpeas!

delalunadelaluna Raw Newbie

If I soak and sprout raw chickpeas, will it be as soft as the canned version? (I used to love them!)

Or will it still taste kind of hard?

(I've heard someone making hummus using sprouted chickpeas, and it tasted horrible.)

Comments

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

Ooh, I am just sprouting chickpeas myself for the first time. I've had them before but haven't sprouted my own so wanted to give it a try. Compared to canned, they do still remain quite hard but I found them ok in a salad and also enjoyed them in falafel.

Once mine are sprouted I think I'm going to cover some of them in oil/spices then dehydrate to make a savoury crunchy snack.

• Dancin DurianDancin Durian Raw Newbie

Hey! Sprouted chick peas are not at all like the chickpeas you get in a can. The ones in the can are cooked up to four times! That is why they are so soft. Sprouted chick peas taste more like starchy green peas, at least to me. I think that they are good in salads, but I personally do not like them in hummus. Their flavor is just too different from the one you will be expecting, if you have only ever had cooked hummus. I would suggest hummus made from zuccini and home made tahini, this tastes much more authentic. I would hate for you to do all the work of sprouting, and making hummus and then having to throw it out because you don't like it. Thats just my two cents. Come visit me! Coolywash.blogspot.com

• ddigiacomoddigiacomo Raw Newbie

They were not bad sprouted. I have also made raw hummus with them and it was also not bad. Its hard to get the exact cooked hummus flavor as they do taste a little different then the cooked ones. I either read an article or heard it on Kevin Gianni's website about sprouted chickpea hummus not really being digestable. I heard it is better to sprout them and then lightly steam them(if your not 100% raw). Since they are so hard on the digestive track(and will give you gas) you are also not getting the nutrition from them because your body doesnt digest them correctly. Its actuall more nutritious to sprout then lightly steam them.

• delalunadelaluna Raw Newbie

thanks for the info about steaming! i will try that when the weather gets a bit colder... i used to be a really strict with 100% raw, but now i'm a bit gracious to myself, and taking it slow :) i do miss chickpeas~

Dancin Durian - i do make hummus with tahini. it's the chickpeas that i miss :) your username is really cute :)