Questions and Problems Concerning Greens

miranimalmiranimal Raw Newbie

Firstly, I am wondering, how many greens do I REALLY need in a day? I see that many of you have read some books by green gurus and I am hoping that you have some easy info to share. I understand and believe in the importance of greens and am hoping for something really specific, really tangible as far as how many I need in a day. I put three to five large green leaves (kale, romaine, green leaf lettuce, etc) in nearly every smoothies (I eat one to three every day) plus, I try try try to eat a green salad every day. Which leads me to my problem...

Green salads don't make me feel that great. Fruit and Green Smoothies leave me feeling very refreshed and hydrated but large green salad make my stomach feel strange. I wouldn't describe it as indigestion or heartburn. I would say, and I know this may sound weird, that my stomach feels DRY. For an hour or two after I eat it. I'm a big believer in listening to your body but at the same time, I would love to get all of the awesome nutrients from the greens. I try to keep my salads simple with one or two types of green chopped very small with a colorful vegetable or two and an

Comments

• delalunadelaluna Raw Newbie

What does your body tell you?

• zinfandelzinfandel Raw Newbie

i've started making soups because i don't digest salads that well. i just made tomato, cucumber, celery, orange, cilantro soup. it's pretty yum and doesn't bother my tum.

• miranimalmiranimal Raw Newbie

Well, I am a big believer in following my body's natural signs but I would like information on how many I need per day. While my body usually does a good job of telling me what I need, it also has a habit of telling me I need french fries. Ha!

Thanks zinfandel, I would like to get a Vitamix or some kind of blender soon to successfully make soups (I have been making smoothies with my food processor), especially with Michigan's colder season setting in!

• delalunadelaluna Raw Newbie

miranimal - There is really no right or wrong answer to how much greens you need. Only your body knows. There are fruitarians who consume no greens, and thrive physically! And there are people who consume quarts after quarts of green smoothies or piles and piles of salads. Listen to your body, and how you feel, and how much energy your food is giving you... this is the best answer!

Somedays for me I eat no greens, other days I eat a lot. But right now my body is telling me it doesn't like green smoothies, so I'm gonna try green juices :)