Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

potluck time!

joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

hi guys! my nutrition class is having a potluck next week, so i volunteered to bring a raw dessert. i like making things i've never tried because i get surprised by the good taste, too. it has to be something delicious so everyone in the class knows that a raw food dessert can be just as satisfying as a SAD one. i'm thinking about making ani phyo's doughnut holes- has anyone tried them? i figured they would be easy since people could just grab one up and there's no cutting. all suggestions are welcome!

ps- i was gonna let the whole fruit debate with my teacher drop but yesterday she asked me where all my evidence was (on whether fruit has protein)! haha so i printed out some fruit charts that say how much protein is in each fruit. that should work... : )

Comments

• zinfandelzinfandel Raw Newbie

Sorry, I don't have any raw desserts. And sorry this post is a bit off your topic, but still relevant :)

This article may be of use to you. It's from http://healthelp.com/lifescience/ and, unless othewise noted, writings of T.C. Fry's Life Science Courses.

You could also do some research on inflated protein recommendations. If you haven't watched the China Study, you could get some facts from this video, which is a summary of the China Study. It is juicy goodness :)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1308977765978236346&q=source:012734837279727572143&hl=en#

How Much Protein Do We Need?

No other area of nutritional needs has been surrounded by so much controversy as the daily protein requirements. Nutritionists and scientists have made protein allowance recommendations that have varied as much as 600%. To arrive at a realistic estimate of our protein needs, we first need to understand how some of the current protein standards were derived. We then need to study the actual protein intake requirements of healthy human beings following a traditional diet that has been in effect over several generations. In this manner, we can see how many of the protein allowances today have been inflated beyond normal health needs.

Background of Current Protein Recommendations

In the late nineteenth century. Baron von Liebig was the first person to separate foods into proteins (nitrogenous substances) and carbohydrates/fats (non-nitrogenous substances). Since the muscles are composed chiefly of protein. Liebig concluded (incorrectly) that proteins supply muscular energy and the amount of protein consumed must be related to bodily activity. In fact, it is actually the non-nitrogenous foods that supply the best fuel for muscular activity.

Liebig was one of the first scientists to make a recommendation for protein intake. He determined the body's protein requirements by measuring the actual amounts of protein consumed by a group of men engaged in physical activity who ate a heavy diet. He reasoned that by measuring the protein intake of men who ate more than average and worked harder than usual, he could arrive at a safe recommended allowance of protein for all people. Such a technique for establishing a standard is somewhat akin to clocking race car drivers in order to establish a safe speed for schoolzones.

Anyway, based on this experiment Liebig determined that about 120 grams of protein daily would satisfy the needs of a moderately active adult. To obtain 120 grams of protein, a person would need to consume about 17 eggs or a pound and a half of meat or twenty ounces of almonds per day.

Following Liebig, Voit in 1881 performed a series of experiments on dogs and likewise determined that we should consume between 100 and 125 grams of protein a day. Doubtless, dogs can safely consume 125 grams of protein per day. The protein requirement for a growing puppy is five times as great as that for a growing baby. Voit, unfortunately, did not adjust his results to account for the differences between humans and dogs.

From the very beginning, we can see that protein requirements were artificially determined and excessively high. As early as 1887, experiments in Germany showed that 40 grams of protein was a sufficient daily amount about one-third of the current recommendations. The old standards of Liebig and Voit, however, were already firmly fixed in the minds of the medical establishment, and the belief persisted that a high-protein diet was conducive to health anyway, so why lower the recommendations?

After many more experiments proved that a daily protein intake of 30 to 40 grams was entirely sufficient, the establishment finally revised its recommendations down to 60 or 70 grams. Although only one-half of the early estimates, this figure is 50% too high, even by conservative nutritional standards. Today, with the support of the meat, dairy and egg industries, the protein allowances still remain around 70 grams per day. It should also be noted that a typical American meat-eater consumes about 93 grams of protein daily

• Wow, zinfandel, thanks for some great information on protein needs. Made my day!!

• daniefondaniefon Raw Newbie

I didn't care for the donut holes. Matt Amsden's apple cookies are excellent!!! I fed them to several SAD friends and they even loved them. I don't have the recipe here with me at work, but if you're interested, I could bring it tomorrow. Or, maybe someone else out there has it.

• Joanna, check http://thesunnyrawkitchen.blogspot.com/2007/03/this-blogs-recipe-index.html she has wonderful recipes, and so amazing desserts!! check the pics! wow!!

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

daniefon, could you post the recipe??

annamaste, i looked at her website. she has so many things!! i'm looking for something simple and most of hers are extravagant dishes. i did find caramel chews and brownies on her site though.

maybe i'll make a few raw desserts and put them on a tray to sample.

i've decided to make brownies. what's your favorite raw brownie recipe? i'm going to whole foods tonight to get supplies.

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

My fav brownie concoction is fairly simple, but so tasty.

Walnuts and/or pecans, cacoa (and/or carob) powder, soaked dates, raisins, drop of vanilla essence and a bit of the date soak water to get things mixed nicely.

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

I usually use:

3 cups of pecans or walnuts (I prefer it with pecans)

2/3 cup of cacoa/carob powder

15-20 dates

1tsp vanilla essence

pinch of salt

First I put the pecans and salt in the food processor until it is fine like small pebbles or sand. Then I add the rest of the ingredients. If it's too dry, then I add a bit of water. I put the mixture in a square dish that I line with saran wrap. Then I put it in the freezer for about 30min. If you don't put the saran wrap it sticks to the dish. After 30min, you can transfer the uncut brownies either to a plate or take the saran wrap out and put it back in the dish. Cut your brownies and leave in the fridge or freezer until you serve them. I also like to sprinkle coconut shreddings on top.

Enjoy!

i just got out of my nutrition potluck and everyone LOVED the brownies. i was so relieved because i'd been nervous about people's reactions. i guess i should never underestimate the power of brownies- in any form!

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

That's awesome! The first time I made raw brownies I gave some to my brother and sister (they are 16 &18) and they LOVED them! If I had told them that they were made with nuts and dates they would have never eaten them, so I waited to see if they liked them before telling them what the ingredients were. Now they ask me to make them all the time :)