Oat Groats?

Sorry everyone, the answer to this has probably already been answered, but will somebody tell me whether or not steel cut oats are considered raw. I recently found out that the "raw rolled oats" are not raw because they are heated when pressed, but the steel cut oat groats look like they are just chopped up. Can somebody please let me know? Also, would I need to soak them or would they be okay as is? Thanks.

Comments

• eechoeecho Raw Newbie

If they sprout then they are raw. Even if someone says yes, that doesn't mean the ones you are looking at haven't been pasteurized or something. Purchase a small quantity and try sprouting them.

• I have heard that they are not raw,. a lot of grain products are irradiated first. i don't think that an oat groat that has been chopped up can sprout anymore (I have tried it) , but I eat them anyway by soaking them, for breakfast, and they are delicious, because I am not 100% strict about raw. If you prefer raw only, try buckwheat groats (untoasted) they sprout. :-)

• The RawtarianThe Rawtarian Raw Superstar

Here's a good article that goes into all the details about whether steel cut oats are raw. I can't quite remember the verdict though. :)

• LilEarthMuffinLilEarthMuffin Raw Newbie

I buy raw organic oat groats from the health food store, and then i soak them over night before using. i actually have a really awesome recipe for raw oatmeal on my blog.

laura-jane thanks for posting that article, i bookmarked it :)