Tastiest/ best sprouts??

I'm sprouting lentils right now and would like to try with other things (maybe alfalfa or chickpeas). Does anyone else sprout these or anything else? I've read on here that chickpeas can give you gas so I am a bit hesitant.

I've read past posts about red beans being dangerous, so I will stay away from those, but I'm looking for other ideas for tasty things to sprout.

Thank you!

Comments

• eechoeecho Raw Newbie

Yes, don't sprout red beans or any of its relatives (i.e. pinto beans). And yes, I no longer make raw hummus becuase chickpeas gave me gas as well. I am guessing this happens because they are toxic, like red beans, but not as severe so instead of getting sick to cleanse, you get gas. As far as sprouting beans goes, I really like mung beans.

For seeds, I like sunflower sprouts just because they are so fast. They only need to soak for a few hours and then they are sprouting in less than two days. They are good on salads, and I also really like making them into milk.

• NyahzNyahz Raw Newbie

The first time I had raw chickpea hummus I thought I was in heaven. 3 hours later..I was in so much pain from the GAS....haven't touched sprouted chickpeas ever since. If you do want to try it out, in "Living Cuisine,"Renee Underkoffler suggests you chop up the sprouts and rinse the starch out before eating. That might help.

I like mung bean sprouts too! Adzuki is also tasty. Lentils, I can only take in tiny amounts

If you have some more time/space, you can do green peas & sunflower seeds in soil- it takes me about 12 days from beginning to end and the sprouts can be eaten or juiced. They're extremely nutritious.

Hope that helps!

• grapefruit.fanaticgrapefruit.fanatic Raw Newbie

Thank you both!

It sounds like I'll steer clear from chickpeas, but I'm excited to try the mung beans, Adzuki and sunflower seeds. Where do you usually buy these?

• The RawtarianThe Rawtarian Raw Superstar

You should not sprout chick peas. There are a number of beans that should NOT be sprouted.

Some of the most popular beans eaten by raw fooders are lentils, alfalfa, broccoli, mung, adzuki, radish, and much more...

Alfalfa is my personal favourite. The taste is the most pleasurable and they are quick to sprout.

• NyahzNyahz Raw Newbie

@fanatic, I get mung/adzuki beans at the asian grocery, pretty cheap, but not organic. Organic green peas I've bought from 2 places online & so far Amazon.com seems to have the best price I've found so far on organic sprouting peas ~ $6 per lb including shipping

Laura-Jane, how do you sprout your alfalfa? I've tried many times and they always end up getting a funky smell so I'm afraid to eat it. I've used a sprouter and bag, rinse several times a day and still no luck. Are you able to get them to grow as long as the ones found in the supermarket?

• grapefruit.fanaticgrapefruit.fanatic Raw Newbie

Nyahz, thanks so much for the info. There is an Asian grocer nearby, so I'll see what I can find.

Laura-Jane, so far I'm having success with sprouting lentils and love them, but I'd also like to try alfalfa- thank you for the response!

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

I've spouted chickpeas and they looked amazing but didn't taste so good - way too bitter for me.

I tried making falafel with them but it was a bit of a disaster as they wouldn't stick together! It ended up as a big crumbly mess but the other ingredients I used along with the seasoning, it did taste ok.

Mung beans are easy to sprout, but I find them quite overpowering to eat on their own.

I once had some black sunflower sprouts (sprouted in soil until they had big green shots/leaves) and they were amazing!

I haven't tried sprouting lentils but I'd like to give it a go sometime. My attempt at sprouting alfalfa was a disaster - think I put too many in my sieve at once and they turned bad.