German Chocolate Cake

Does anyone have a recipe for German Chocolate Cake?

I can't seem to get the toasted coconut flavour right, nor the goey topping; just ends up as chocolate-coconut. I'd love a helpful recipe!:-)

Comments

• anybody? :-)

• I don't know about the toasty flavour, but have you tried mixing the coconut with a thick date syrup? that might give you a good gooey topping.

I'll think on this more, and am excited to hear if anybody else has any suggestions.

Will you share your recipe when you get it down? it sounds delicious

• I bet sesame oil would help with that toasted flavor, but I don't know if it's raw

• sarawsaraw Raw Newbie

What are the ingredients in your cake?

I'd probably try blending coconut with dates, and soaked cashews, and slowly adding a bit of water. Just enough to make it spreadable and gooey. Oh, and a small amount of finely crushed pecans.

hmmm, Maybe I'll try it out tomorrow. I'll report once I try it out.

• Thanks for the suggestions! The sesame oil is a good idea, and even though it's not raw I imagine one would only need a tiny amount anyway.

I looked up the original German's Chocolate Cake recipe to get some guidance, and the Pecan-coconut topping seems like it would be easy to make raw, using dates like sillystarrfish suggested. I'll have to look in some raw cookbooks for a chocolate cake base I guess, since my attempts at coconut-cocoa base just end up as goo.

• JoyceHJoyceH Raw Newbie

There's a german chocolate cake recipe in both Cafe Gratitude books: I Am Grateful and Sweet Gratitude. I haven't made them yet but have heard from others online that the recipes are good.

• I hope I can look in which ever book has the recipe someday!