Considering Raw...need motivation!

Hello all. My name is Grace. I'm 29yrs old. I have been on and off vegetarian all my life. I have tried going Vegan, and have done remarkably well, but I travel and move a lot, and I have a husband who is slooooooooowly (but surely) coming around on the whole eating healthy thing. I have four kids (3 boys and 1 girl) and they are easily influenced by my hubby when he's not deployed. I usually do best on vegan diets when he's gone, but he's the type who must have his steak and potatoes, and cake and ice cream for dessert, LOL.

We have done really well on vegan diets while living in Southern California, but have fallen off the wagon w/a recent move. I am seriously considering going raw, but I'm not sure where to start. We are currently living in Okinawa, Japan. While there are loads of fresh fruits and veggies...they're pretty expensive. I'm wondering how on earth we'll be able to fill the bellies of 2 adults, and for now, 3 boys. My daughter is only 8 months old. She doesn't eat much solids, and right now she's still nursing, so I'm not too concerned. But where do I start w/a baby? My family hasn't ever really followed a SAD, but we've never been raw either. I used to give my boys (especially my youngest) avocados, bananas, and squash as their first foods, when we were living in SoCal, because those foods were abundant there.

I'm trying to rely on the more local foods here, and sadly avocado isn't on that list. We do have access to a lot of different fruits and veggies, but more than half of that variety is imported from the US....and they are rather nasty by the time they reach us.

Anyway, just thought I'd introduce myself. Hope to get some motivation and good advice. Can't wait to get to know you all.

Thanks,

Grace

Comments

• Lulushka8,

That's so true. I was hooked on Andrea Primm's show on You Tube- I believe she's better than Ani Phyo myself- but you gotta love her.

My first raw recipe

She called it raw chocolate chocolate cake- I call it Brownie Cake and have simplified it even more on my blog.

• Thanks for the advice and the links :)

Grace

• OMG Grace, I am sooooooo with you with the deployed husband thing. I basically went raw when my husband left for training two months ago. He was all about supporting me when he came home for Thanksgiving, but after a grocery store visit I found lunch meat and chicken strips in my fridge again. It's okay though--I'm not trying to force him to do anything. He leaves in January for a one-year deployment to Africa. Hopefully I will have my new diet well enforced( (with the kids too) by the time he comes back.

BTW-we were in Japan for three years (Sasebo). Enjoy your time there. They may not have Avocados, but they have all kinds of other crazy veggies to try out. They seem to have lots of root vegetables that I never got around to trying.

Georgia