Great book!!

Just finished The Raw Food Lifestyle, by Ruthann Russo. It's a new book that is a wonderful introduction to raw food. It's one of the best that I've read (and I've read alot!). Just wanted to share. Here's the review I wrote.

I've been "experimenting" with raw foods for over a year; and, I've read several books on the subject. This by far is the best, most comprehensive book I have read. The book is divided into three parts. The first, "The Basics", introduces the reader to raw and living foods in general. This section includes the reasons for raw and living foods, short biographies of the main raw food leaders, and provides the reader with exercises to determine her/his own nutritional goals. The second section, "The Food", looks at the debate around chocolate, sweeteners, pH levels, supplements and preparations. The last section, "The Lifestyle", moves beyond just food to exploring the overall lifestyle which includes fitness and spiritual health. Further, this last section moves to what needs to be done beyond the individual (national, social and economic factors of raw food). Russo provides a ton of resources throughout the book and a useful glossary.

I appreciate her tone. The book reads more like a welcome into the rawfood lifestyle than a didactic list of dos and don'ts and fear-inducing cries about toxins. This book is a well-balanced introduction to the lifestyle. While reading it I could imagine it being used in any nutrition class as a textbook on raw food. Very well done.