Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

weight gain while BF

rawmamanibblesrawmamanibbles Raw Newbie
in Family

ok so im only up to 92lbs. which is good considering i had gotten down to 88lbs. i am having a hard time gaining weight while nursing my son. any suggestions though on how i could gain some weight?

Comments

• eechoeecho Raw Newbie

1) Exercise consistently. Its not just about gaining body fat, its also about gaining muscle. I am guessing your muscles are very underdeveloped. Remember: consistency is key. Twice per week every week is better than every day of the week, once per month.

2) Eat a lot of fruit.

3) Train yourself to eat more. I don't know exactly how to do this, but find out and do it. Then use this skill to accomplish #2

4) I have heard that seed milks are good, especially sesame seed milk. Sesame seeds have a lot of good fats and proteins.

• rawmamanibblesrawmamanibbles Raw Newbie

yea i am lacking excerise --- do you think bike riding with my bike seat for my son would be enouph excerise?

• eechoeecho Raw Newbie

Biking consistently would definitely be good. However "enough" depends on your goals and your body. Start out with the biking and whatever else you choose, then after a couple weeks adjust your program depending on how much progress you are making. I would recommend some core exercises every day, i.e. pushups, situps, pullups, body squats, etc. If you are out of shape then doing this for just 5-10 minutes every day will help you a lot. Try doing it right after you wake up every day. Personally, I am a fan of the crossfit progam and mentality. Check it out here: http://crossfit.com/

• make sure you increase your calorie intake when you exercise. i bike 6-12 miles every day and i feel like i have to eat a lot of food to maintain my weight. i out-eat pretty much all of my friends and i am the thinnest of the bunch. but it's because you burn a lot of calories when you bike around, more than you would think - especially if you are towing a kid in a seat.

that said, my legs used to be twiggy sticks and now they are nicely toned, shapely and feel really strong. i get compliments all the time. my pants fit a little tight around the thighs now and that's much better than the way they used to just hang from my hips.

so yeah, biking is great, but make sure you compensate with lots more calories.

• eechoeecho Raw Newbie

I agree, but keep in mind that everyone is different. How your body responds to food and exercise depends on so many factors that each person basically has to find their own way of going about it.

• Raw family says that it is all in the green juices. I noticed that I lost more weight when my juicer was broken.

I do yoga, I love it, it is exercise and meditation in one.

Are you feeling better already?

• rawmamanibblesrawmamanibbles Raw Newbie

no not yet, i've been craving toxic foods .... bad! sugar, coffee black teas and lots of bread!

not that i think bread is bad, i reather like it at times but lately it's been ALL i want in the form or pastreys, bagels, cookies, muffins and such.

• I would say you are craving all of those things because your body needs the extra fat and pounds. I'm assuming that since you are able to still breastfeed, then your body fat percentage is most likely just right. The number on the scale isn't much of a big deal if you feel good, are able to become pregnant and/or breastfeed.

If you want to gain lean muscle mass, try some weight training. Don't know how to help you on gaining fatty weight though...sorry. Maybe you're not eating as much as you think?

I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure you are feeling like normal, and baby is gaining weight well and hitting the proper milestones for his/her age.

Grace

• Hi! Im very new to raw eating but Ive too been trying to gain weight. My lowest weight being 84 lbs! Your body does go through some odd cravings because it is looking to nourish as fast as possible. The way that worked for me was weight training and lots of nuts! I ate all kinds of almonds and peanuts. Nut butters became my best friend. haha. I went through a period of time too where i craved foods that weren't too healthy either. I went with it. Life is a process I think. Just feed your body what it wants now to get back to a healthy weight. Then maybe focus on detoxing and eating a more healthy diet. Good luck to you! I gained 20 lbs in about 5 months. So Im very close to a healthy weight range now! Avacados are a great source of healthy fats as well. If you are craving some donuts and bread-y foods I dont think its the end of the world. Just go with what you body is telling you and everything will fall into place. This is just what worked for me though. I didnt see a nutritionist or anything and just found that I could put on weight pretty well by myself. If you are worried about it you could always maybe just check in with a licensed nutritionist that could help you put together an eating plan that would put on some weight in a healthy way. Hope this helps!