Favorite Bread Recipes

Hi I need to make some bread recipes that are really great. Does anyone have any recomendations? Even if you don’t feel comfortable giving the recipe out- if you have a reference that would be great. I need to make a bunch so my boyfriend will eat good stuff instead of kind of bingeing. He had a pork sandwich right in front of me yesterday! But I could be trying harder to have good rawfood around he will eat before he has an uncontrollable craving.

Comments

• jenny2052jenny2052 Raw Newbie

Writeeternity, this is my favorite bread so far:

http://therawchef.blogs.com/russell_james/2006/...

I like it because the flavors are mild and it’s very soft and pliable (like cooked bread), but with a bit of texture. Of all the recipes I’ve tried, this is the one that I think is most like “real” bread. To me, it is extremely similar to something like a 7-grain cooked bread. My non-raw boyfriend approves of it, too, and I keep it around for just the reason you mentioned.

My only complaint (and it’s one I have with many raw breads), is that it is just a little bit on the heavy side. I think it’s kind of inevitable with all the nuts and such. But the creator just posted a non-nut version of this bread that uses buckwheat, so I’m eager to try that one out. Hopefully it will give me that lighter feel I’ve been looking for.

I just tried your “meatballs” this weekend, by the way, and I have to tell you that they are totally awesome!

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

Jenny, thanks for posting that. Bread is my biggest downfall in raw. I can make almost everything else with a decent raw sub that I am OK with for the most part but not bread. I am sorry but most raw breads just don’t cut it for me when those bread cravings kick in.

I make some sprouted essene flat bread in many different kinds but they are more like crackers than actual soft bread. They are good to have like a almond butter and banana sandwich or a avocado sandwich and good for spreading pates and spreads I make but I want that poufy french like bread. :) But alas, no good raw sub yet. I’ll even eat my raw hummus with some pita bread sometimes because I get sick of dipping just veggies.

I have had some amazing wrap type tortilla breads at some raw restaurants (the chef wouldn’t tell me what was in it – it tasted just like a cooked one! Wah! So mean!). And I have heard some people rave about a raw “foccacci” type bread they had before but I don’t have the recipes.

The buckwheat version of bread sounds like it might be the thing I have been looking for. I have made raw pizza crush with buckwheat and it turned out pretty good – I am not as picky about that as I am “sandwich” bread though. I happen to have some buckwheat too!

Queenfluff, I can SO sympathize. I hope the buckwheat one works for you! Definitely give us an update if you try it! I’m a little lazy with the sprouting, so I love to hear other people’s reviews before I go through the effort. ;)

To be perfectly honest, the nut bread is very good, but I have to admit that I was never really the rustic 7-grain type. It was definitely team puffy white French bread for me! And I also have a very emotional attachment to my memories of baking fresh white bread with my dad. I can look at all sorts of cooked floury concoctions and not feel any temptation whatsoever, but not wanting classic bread is still a challenge for me. Ah, if only there was a raw version. I mean, I understand that white bread is basically just cooked paste, but it still looks so good to me!

I do feel my tastes are changing, though. I’m coming to appreciate “heartier” textures more than I ever have before, and raw cuisine is really terrific for those. Sometimes I just want something comfortingly bland, though. But I love so much that this is such a wonderfully creative and generous community! (Er, except for those meanies that wouldn’t give you the tortilla recipe!) Hopefully someone, somewhere will figure out a healthy raw way to give us our puffy-bread fix…:)

I did just get the Cafe Gratitude cookbook, too, which has a couple of bread variations, so I’ll give them a go and report back.

• kandacekandace Raw Newbie

I’ve been looking for really great breads as well. I went through months of making only onion bread, but my current favorite (and quite easy to make) is this sun-dried tomato bread. The bread is fairly light, but still sturdy enough to make a sandwich with.

• Hi Thank you guys so much. I remember that link above from a while back and it looked good but I never got a round to trying it- so thanks! Thanks Kandace I need to try that one too. Thanks Queenfluff too!

Jenny-

Me too. I would never eat Wonder Bread anymore which is what we had when I was a kid of course but I love the “rustic” type breads like sourdough or french (anything with the crusty outside). I usually pick the ones that are organic or at least have the least amount of ingredients (no weird chemicals or preservatives). For me, I miss having crusty bread with soup which is why raw soups are hard for me (although I am getting better at it) – I miss having a super warm creamy vegan soup with some bread and Earth Balance. Garlic Bread too is another one that is a hard sub. I love smelling the bread when I walk through the bakery section at the co-op.

I don’t see the buckwheat version of the recipe on the link. Is it there somewhere or do I just sub the buckwheat for the nuts? I have to admit the almond part looks like a lot of work and almond are so expensive now – I would rather just avoid them.

I found this recipe too and sound like it could be a good bagel sub recipe.

http://www.rawfoodtalk.com/showthread.php?t=2100

Also, in Alissa Cohens book she has a Rye bagel recipe that lots of people say is really good. I haven’t tried it yet. I usually make rye sprouted flat bread so I am pretty sure it would probably taste similiar.

Yes, please let us know about the Cafe Gratitude recipe. I remember eating there and it was awesome!

My bf said to get the bread poufy you need yeast which will make it rise. My guess is that there is no raw yeast. I wonder if something fermented (like kombucha) will help it to rise? At least it would make a good “sourdough” taste. :)

Hi Queenfluff—here’s the link to the buckwheat version:

http://therawchefblog.com/nut-free-bread/

I thought it was linked to on the nut bread page, but I just went back and couldn’t find it. Sorry about that!

Wow, we are on the same wavelength with the soup and fresh crusty bread! That was pretty much my favorite thing in the whole world. I did make some tomato basil soup the other day and had it with a nut bread and cashew “cheese” sadwich and it came pretty close to hitting the spot. Not quite there yet, but getting closer all the time!

Hmmm…kombucha is a very interesting idea! I think it definitely could work. And I haven’t done any sprouted grain breads yet, so that is something I’m really interested in exploring.

The Cafe Gratitude book is promising, too, because it is terrific so far! LOVE the desserts, in particular. So as soon as I run out of nut bread I will give theirs a try.

• Question about the buckwheat: Is it the hard red buckwheat that you sprout?

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

hi ladys i too love the mediterranian bread that this guy makes, i cant wait to try the buckwheat version..wondering out loud if nutritional yeast would work for the rising of the bread, also in the raw transformation cook book( DISCALIMER: I havent tried this yet)she used veggie pulp for her breads and she leaves them out for a day or so to “rise”( even says to punch the mix down) so i guess the natural decomposeing causes a bit of fermentation? then in julianos cookbook, “raw” he had a rosemary bread that was crispy on the outside and soft in the middle…I hope to get that recipe book for my bday and will definitely make that bread!Iwas thumbing through it at barnes and noble the other day….

Like you ladies a good crusty french loaf was hard for me to pass up….but at a resteraunt two weeks ago i had a crumb from my hubbys plate and the stuff was so incredibly salty and pastey in my mouth i am convinced ill never be tempted again!;) My recommendation for the heavyness of tehse raw breads is to a( make smaller slices for your sammys, or go openfaced…..it helps me!

jenny -

Thanks for the link. Drat – I only have a few of the ingredients listed there right now.

Omshanti – Nope, unfortunately, nutritional yeast is not the same as regular yeast and it won’t make anything rise. The veggies probably worked a little because they fermented sitting out for a few days. That Juliano recipe sounds great! I have a Garlic Sourdough Rosemary Bread recipe in one of my book. I might try that too. It has a few things in it I haven’t used before so it might be nice to try.

If that Julianos recipe works, I would be interested it in!