Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Eating before bed

I go to the gym after work 3 or 4 nights a week and then come home, eat and go to bed a couple of hours later. How mch time should I give after a meal before going to bed? What foods are better to eat late at night after a workout?

Comments

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

I think green smoothies are good post-work out foods. I eat when I'm hungry so if I'm hungry a little before bed, I usually have an apple. They take a little while to eat so I get tired while eating it.

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

I always eat something before I go to bed, usually because I 'm a little hungry, but sometimes just out of bordeom. But I always eat berries or some other fruit, and avoid harder to digest foods. I always work out first thing in the morning and I find that if I go to bed hungry I am way too hungry the next morning to exercise. I don't feel uncomfortable when I go to sleep, but just satisfied. So I say, it's ok to eat a little something as long as it's something light.

• have_merseyhave_mersey Raw Newbie

melons are easy to digest, as are juices and purees.

• Thanks for the ideas. How long should I wait after eating before going to bed?

• have_merseyhave_mersey Raw Newbie

I always wait 5-6 hours, because I feel better. But I suppose it depends on what you ate and how it makes you feel.

• I usually eat later in the evening around 8-9 some nights, I don't get all the hype about eating before you go to bed. I honestly think people are told that because they have bad eating habits in the first place and when they do eat before bed it's usually a late night snack like cookies or ice cream.

I don't think there is any conclusive evidence that leads to the fact that eating at night will cause you to have weight gains.

• I always eat late at night. I have to, I cannot go to sleep with an empty stomach. I don't think it's bad to do, though depending on what you eat, it might upset your tummy. I lay off things like nuts, raisins, seeds earlier on in the day... if I eat them before bed, I just get bloaty and uncomfortable.

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

I think the logic is that the body repairs and detoxifies itself at night, so if it's digesting it isn't committing its full attention to those functions. Spitfiredd has a good point about the *types* of foods people usually eat at night being difficult to digest - versus some fruit or greens.

Working out at night - a friend of mine is a freelance writer and ironically she just finished an article for a magazine on geting a good night's sleep. She said give yourself at least three hours of rest after exercising before bed.

• Here are a few simple tips to make sure you get the most from your last meal of the day:-----

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

It really depends on the workout, you'd want protein rich foods if its weight lifting etc.

On a different note i never eat too close to bed it really wrecked my digestion years back before raw. Now i snack on some dried berries such as goji berries or incan berries if im peckish close to bed. A few handfuls and it satisfies my cravings and is a healthy blood sugar balancing snack.

Amla