Tips on nutrition for kidney health

Hi all,

I'm raw (3 months now and feeling on top of the world!). Everyone I work with is really intrigued and supportive and look to me for nutrition answers, when in reality all I know is what is right for me.

One of my colleagues who I get on with really well has just been diagnosed with kidney problems and she is only young. I'd love to give her some tips and advice on foods to avoid and foods to enjoy in abundance. I thought you guys would be a great place to start my research and be full of advice so any ideas greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,

Gem x

Comments

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

Definitely avoid meat, fish, cheese, and other dairy. the high protein is what is so bad for the kidneys and the toxins too. tell her to stop eating protein powders and shakes if she is. tell her to eat a lot of fresh, ripe fruit, and lessen the protein and fat load. also mention that grains might not be the best thing. mainly just tell her to wean off heavy food and eat as much fresh fruits as possible, with lots of vegetable juices. unless of course her kidneys are having a problem with a high water intake, that's another story.

hope that helped!

• kuritekurite Raw Newbie

Heres the problem. Any cooked food will create toxins through out the body and your kidneys have to do the work to "clean" out your body. Unfortunately when the kidneys do this they put a lot of extra stress on themselves. Basically what im saying is tell her the less cooked food she eats the better off she will probably be depending on the kidney problem.

• I have an elderly mother-in-law who lives with me who recently when through a terrible kidney scare. They were actually considering dialysis many months back. Because of her health issues we (Husband and I) began actually preparing her meals for her. She cut out most processed foods ( she still eats some canned low sodium soups). She still eats some meat everyday- but it is lean meats not stuff like spam, Kentucky fried chicken, etc. She usually eats a large fruit salad for breakfast, or a banana and some cream of wheat or oatmeal. Then, her meat and sliced cucumbers or tomatoes for supper.

My point after listing what she eats now isn't to say the exact foods are the key, but that just cutting out processed junk foods, and adding fruits and veggies (though technically cucumbers and tomatoes are still fruits) has SIGNIFICANTLY improved her kidney functions. They will never be great, but the doctors are now quite happy with her kidney improvement and no longer talking dialysis.

If you friend is up to going vegetarian and raw- great. But, most likely that will be too overwhelming for her and she would just brush off your suggestion. (I'm sure my M-I-L would have done that.)

If she were my friend or colleague I would suggestion: limiting her protein- don't eat meat/fish/beans everymeal. Eat LOTS of fresh fruit and veggies. Switch from processed convenience foods- replace it with stuff like brown rice, sweet potatoes, steamed veggies, etc. (Personally, I don't believe cooked food to be poisonous, just the "crap" most people tend to eat that is cooked is junk food.)

IF she wants to go raw- suggest a gradual transition. And, of course, have her check with her doc to make sure there are no foods she can't eat.

• I had pretty serious kidney problems from my eating disorder, and I got great help from my natural doctor - I took homeopathic drops that helped me a lot. but its good to consult because the approach is different for everyone. Depending on how your kidney problems are manifested in your body.

also bitter vegetables are good, for the kidney and liver for that matter - like christmas-salat/endivie I dont know if there's a different name for it in english, leeks, radish, grapefruit and i dont know the english word for this common plant but its taraxacum in latin i think.

but a pure natural diet is that main to not stress her body even more.