Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Are rolled oats raw?

jakkrabbitjakkrabbit Raw Newbie

I take a half cup of rolled oats (not the instant kind) per day for the fiber, protein, etc. Just wondering though, are rolled oats raw or have they been precooked in any way? It doesn't say on the label.

Comments

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

i'm pretty sure the only kind that are raw are called "raw oat groats."

http://www.sprouthouse.com/Oat_Groats_RAW_p/oatgr.htm

• LilEarthMuffinLilEarthMuffin Raw Newbie

No, they are not considered to be raw because they are heated during the rolling out process. As joannabanana said raw oat groats are the only true type of raw oats. This being said however rolled oats are very good for you because they have tons of soluble fibers, are high in magnesium and selenium, so if you cant get oat groats rolled oats would be excellent for you.

• I have been wondering, I noticed that my my mail-order supposedly raw rolled oates have little grooves in them while the regular store-bought ones don't - maybe there really is a way to roll oates without overheating them?

• kuritekurite Raw Newbie

No they are not raw at all, they steam them during the rolling process. Also you can't eat truly raw oats because oats and other grains are actually very toxic to humans and cannot be digested correctly.

schwam66
  • oh, thanks for the info. I got them from natural-zing, shame on them for the false info...

Yep unfortunately many companies do this Im actually going to make a post soon that has a list of foods that are supposedly raw but are heat treated at some point or another

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

That's nice of you, Kurite. Some people will choose to eat non-raw items, and that's fine, but it's not cool to be misled.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

hey kurite, where'd you find that out about grains being very toxic to humans when raw? that is very interesting!!

I just put up a post on some foods that are not actually raw and ill make sure to put up an article about grains being toxic.

ClaireT
  • kestrel4kestrel4 Raw Newbie

I  believe that all porridge oats sold in the UK are heat-treated during processing.  The reply to my letter to Quaker confirmed that non-heat-treated oats are "not a product we supply".

The reason I mind is that oat flakes purchased on the Continent create porridge with a more risotto-like texture. Everything is personal of course but I much prefer it.  The UK stuff has a slimy consistency that it (as one person put it) like snot.  

Does anybody know of a source of non-heat-treated oat flakes?

ClaireT
  • ClaireTClaireT Raw Master

I haven't found truly raw oats yet. Still looking!

• alexisdalexisd Raw Newbie

We have a small organinc farm in Ohio and we grow and sell cold rolled oats which are raw.  You are all correct, most rolled oats have been steamed at some point and this enables them to have a longer shelf life.  Cold rolled oats have to be refrigerated.

ClaireTreikifeet
  • mikeju990mikeju990 Raw Newbie

I am also confused about that.

ClaireT
  • ClaireTClaireT Raw Master

Only if they specifically say they are!

• Matt_RawMatt_Raw Raw Jr. Leader
    I think there are other Alternatives to oats for protein, fiber, magnesium, calcium and loads of vitamins and minerals. I've been doing some research and I've started eating bowls of soacked buckwheat, quinoa, and amarath. I believe millet can also be eaten once soacked overnight. Does anyone know more about these grains?
  • CatherineRCatherineR Raw Superstar
    Matt_Raw said:
    I think there are other Alternatives to oats for protein, fiber, magnesium, calcium and loads of vitamins and minerals. I've been doing some research and I've started eating bowls of soacked buckwheat, quinoa, and amarath. I believe millet can also be eaten once soacked overnight. Does anyone know more about these grains?

Millets are amazing! I'd turn to those over rolled oats for sure. In fact, Gabriel Cousens's book, "Conscious Eating" contains many recipes with (sprouted) buckwheat, quinoa, etc. 

Matt_RawClaireT