Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

protein sources

Butterfly3588Butterfly3588 Raw Newbie

what protein sources would you recommend? i have been using nutiva hemp protein but it is very gritty

what do you think about sunwarrior protein or garden of life raw protein or raw meal?

Comments

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

When I transitioned into raw, I used to take VEGA protein powder, which has hemp seed protein. I find that it's a little

'grainy", but not as bad as other powders I have tried before.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

garden of life's raw protein is very fine powdery, not gritty at all. mix it up with raw apple cider and it tastes like a peanut butter shake.

• eechoeecho Raw Newbie

Your favorite fruits and greens?

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

yea that's what I ultimately recommend.

• Butterfly3588Butterfly3588 Raw Newbie

thank you, i appreciate the comments. i actually had the hemp protein with almond milk and cinnamin tonight. it was delicious. i like the hemp because it is a complete protein.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Sprouts! Sprouts! Sprouts!

MyHealingJourney
  • M42M42

Hello Sarah,

If you eat enough variety of fruits and vegetables you should get enough protein under normal conditions. If you need more, for example for building more muscle, then there's some good advice in the above posts.

In general, even though fruits and vegetables contain less protein than meat, you'll still get enough. Abundant meat protein does more harm than good anyway, according to the China Study.

Greetings,

Mark

Well it makes sense that nature provides just enough. I have heard this China Study referenced frequently, I will look into that.

• rawcanadianrawcanadian Raw Newbie

I believe the china study refers to casein which is found in milk.

What the china study doesn't tell you is that there are different types of proteins.

And that not all proteins cause cancer.

Doing some research i found the study of whey protein interesting.

The people that took in the most had the least occurance of cancer.

Those same people are probably exercises, not smoking and drinking less then the normal population as well.

My question remains, how does a person get enough protein if the are into bodybuilding by consumer raw foods???

I'm sure if eating raw food help build huge muscles, then you would see bodybuilders doing it.

Because they will do anything to get those big muscles.

But this is not the case. So if i weight 200lbs I am suppose to take in 300g or protein a day if I am bodybuilding.

How do i reach those numbers on the raw diet???

Do bodybuilders get more cancer then everybody else???

I don't think so, i think eating healthy is more important than the raw diet anyway.

But I still would like to know how to reach those numbers???

anybody???

• camiheartsrawcamiheartsraw Raw Newbie

There are plenty of raw vegan bodybuilders, and they even have forums to discuss how to get enough protein, etc. Google "Raw Vegan Bodybuilders" and you'll get plenty of returns. If you're having trouble finding a forum, I can try and find one for you, but I assure you there are plenty of professional athletes out there finding success on a raw vegan diet (and not just in the endurance sports).

• www.foodnsport.com this talks about low fat raw vegan athletes and how they only get about 8% protein a day!

you don't need to get your protein from anywhere other than fruit and veggies with some overt fats here and there, but not necessarily. only 5-6% protein from total calories is recommened by the world health organization so don't worry too much about where you are getting your protein. Eat the right fruits and veggies and you'll be golden :D

• rawcanadianrawcanadian Raw Newbie

"There are plenty of raw vegan bodybuilders, and they even have forums to discuss how to get enough protein, etc. Google "Raw Vegan Bodybuilders" and you'll get plenty of returns. If you're having trouble finding a forum, I can try and find one for you, but I assure you there are plenty of professional athletes out there finding success on a raw vegan diet (and not just in the endurance sports)."

Ya, thanks I found this site.

http://www.veganbodybuilding.org/main.htm

Does anybody know what the cancer % for bodybuilders since they eat very high amounts of protein??

Many eat 1.5-2 grams / lbs of body weight / day.

Also i don't believe 5-6% protein would maintain muscle mass for a bodybuilder.

I don't have anyway to prove this and i do realize for survival we don't need more than that.

thanks

• Wild rice has 25 gm protein in one cup

• Chia seeds, I have just discovered, are a complete protein. I like mine with a nut milk poured over the top. Reminds me of a cross between bread pudding and tapioca!

2:1 ratio of water to seed, soak until all water absorbed. Then I scoop some out into a bowl and pour some sweetened nut milk over the top. Sometimes I sprinkle cinnamon on or cinnamon and cardamom. Actually I like cardamom and fresh ground nutmeg the best. Today I put a little vanilla water in there too.

I have this for my lunch at school and seems to get me by the afternoon slump.

Shari

• swayzeswayze Raw Newbie

"i like the hemp because it is a complete protein."

The complete protein myth has been long since debunked. Our bodies actual store and recycle the amino acids we consume (100-300 grams per day). There is no need to eat all of the essential amino acids at one time or even every day.

"My question remains, how does a person get enough protein if the are into bodybuilding by consumer raw foods???"

According to the Institute of Medicine, muscular activity does not increase the need for protein to any appreciable degree and no increment is added to the RDA for physical activity of any kind.

Here's a helpful article on the importance of carbohydrate vs protein consumption for optimal health and performance:

http://www.healthline.com/hlbook/nut-protein-and-physical-activity

Take-home quotes from the article:

"Virtually all studies that have looked at the total energy consumption of athletes indicate that athletes consume less total energy than they should to support the combined needs of activity, growth, and tissue maintenance. Since burning protein causes a lot of metabolic waste, it would be better to meet the energy requirement by providing a cleaner-burning fuel-carbohydrate."

"The Institute of Medicine has stated that additional protein for healthy adults who exercise regularly is not needed because exercise increases protein retention. Nevertheless, both the American College of Sports Medicine and the American Dietetic Association recommend that protein intakes range between 1.2 and 1.7 grams per kilogram of body weight in physically active people."

NOTE: It is important to remember that these numbers (just like most of the RDA recommendations) include a wide safety margin (such as added margins for quality and digestion of the protein).

"There is a common misunderstanding that extra protein intake alone will support a larger muscle mass, and this theory is the main rationale for the large protein intakes seen in many athletes. In fact, additional total calories are required to support a larger muscle mass, and protein should constitute the same relative proportion of the extra calories consumed."

"High-protein foods have a long gastric emptying time so are not recommended immediately before or during exercise. In addition, there is no evidence that adding protein to a glucose- and sodium-containing sports beverage does anything useful for either endurance or power enhancement. In fact, protein added to a sports beverage that is consumed during competition increases the risk of gastrointestinal distress and may delay the delivery of fluids and carbohydrate to needy muscles. Protein added to a sports beverage reduces the content of what athletes really need: fluid, carbohydrate, and electrolytes. Therefore, the majority of energy in the preexercise meal and during exercise fluid replacement should be from carbohydrate."

"An increasing body of evidence suggests that adding small amounts of protein to postexercise food and drink is useful for muscle recovery, although the benefit of protein is reduced if sufficient carbohydrate is ingested postexercise to replenish glycogen stores.47"

Swayze

www.fitonraw.com/blog

• daniefondaniefon Raw Newbie

I eat a cereal that I mix up in big batches. It is 1 part raw oats to 1/2 part buckwheaties to 1/4 chia seeds.. I add a pinch of salt and some cinnamon. I put a half a cup in a bowl with warm water and just stir. It will be the consistency of thick oatmeal. You can sweeten it as you wish, add raisins, chopped nuts, etc. Lately I've been drying my apple peels and grinding them and using them for sweetner. it's my fav breakfast.

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

Fruits and leafy greens.

• You do not need protein to build muscle or to be a body builder... if that was the case people wouldn't be in gym they would be eating protein all day long in the kitchen. 5-6% protein and hard training will still give you the exact results. No diet makes you gain or lose muscle it's just about how much you work out and put into it. Sure if youre vegan and do not consume tons of fat then you won't have that outter layer around your muscles....you'll be much more cut. Here is a link to a forum with people that only eat at a max 10% protein .. photos are included and it shows that you can be ripped and be raw vegan without a ton of protein!! You maintain muscle mass by continuing to work out... not by eating loads of protein.

http://www.30bananasaday.com/forum/topics/anyone-hardcore-811rv-ripped?

Dr. Grahams book 80/10/10 talks a lot about this :D I would really recommend reading it. Hope this helps answer some questions :D

ShariV, i just recently started adding chia seeds to my veggie blends. They are loaded with nutrients so i pretty much feel like a cool kid now.

Anyway, after reading all of yalls comments and from what else i am hearing i don't have to be all crazy about getting protein in my diet because i will be getting enough of what i need if i just eat a lot of diversity. No biggie.

off topic but i am loving wheat grass! i want to learn how to start growing my own.. hope it's not too hard.

• www.wheatgrassman.com

it has everything you need to know about growing your wheatgrass!! Let me know how it goes, I've been wanting to start too :D

• kuritekurite Raw Newbie

No need for it. Do you have any sources of raw goji berries? They are a complete source of protein. Also soaked nuts are good sources of protein

• Re: Sunwarrier protein. At 16gm of protein and

Sunwarrior protein powder tastes like ****. I'd rather eat fruit and leafy greens for my nutrients.

• swayzeswayze Raw Newbie

Amen, superfood. Have you ever tried hemp protein powder? OMG, I can't believe I used to force that stuff down when I was vegan. I really thought I needed the extra protein to build muscle mass!

*rolls eyes*

Swayze

www.fitonraw.com/blog

• I am trying to decide to use the VEGA protein powder or Life's Basics protein powder. Has anyone tried them? If so, how were they??

Thanks!

• hi healthnut,

i use Life's Basics Hemp/Chia/Rice protein powder mix with the green superfoods in it. i LOVE it! it adds great flavor to smoothies (especially with spinach in them). i am not sure if that brand is raw though....

i haven't used VEGA. i've seen a lot of advertisement for it, but haven't heard if it's good or not. i've found (atleast in nor cal were i live) that it's a lot more expensive than Life's Basics brand.

i hope this was helpful. your best bet is probably to try out both brands and see what your personal preferance is.

Yeah, I have tried that hemp protein powder, it was equally gag-worthy. It ruins the taste of my fruit.

• Hello everyone,

I usually soak almonds for 24 hours to activate enzymes and get enough protein.

I know, Mr.Nature Love eats nothing but leafy greens and he is very muscular.

Check his interview out with welikeitraw.com about his raw journey.

http://www.welikeitraw.com/rawfood/podcast/page/4/

Peace,

bodyrejuvenator.net

• ok,Garden of Life RAW protein is not exactly vegan since the vitamin D3 has been taken FROM LANOLIN and reabsorbed into a mushroom, and then they extract it from the mushroom. Might as well just take it straight from lanolin.

But besides that.. I think Nutribiotic Rice Protein is raw.

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

Vega thrive protein powder is RAW and from wholefood sources.