My concerns about a high-fruit diet in a temperate climate

Don't get me wrong, I love eating high-fruit, it makes me feel great. But I live in Ireland, which doesn't exactly have balmy tropical conditions, and therefore a lot of fruit that would be regarded as staples by many LFRV eaters - bananas, oranges, grapes, etc. - is imported. Because I despise the oil companies and resent their stranglehold on world affairs and commerce, I try to buy as local and organic as possible, usually not buying anything from further afield than Europe and the Mediterranean (excluding Turkey and Israel). I falter a fair amount though (virtually all my bananas are South American) and there's really no excuse for that. So I'm looking into fundamentally changing the fruit I eat. There's so much that grows relatively well in this climate (wet/temperate) that gets overlooked or pushed out by cheaper imports, then there's all the wild fruit that I mentioned in another thread. I'd be interested in finding out about less "mainstream" fruit that does well in temperate conditions around the world, if anyone could point me to a few.

Comments

• cupcakes revengecupcakes revenge Raw Newbie

hmm I also live in a temperate climate so I'm trying to think about fruits http://goneraw.com/forum/my-concerns-about-high-fruit-diet-temperate-climatethat are grown locally here...local eating is a b**ch when you live somewhere that gets cold for half the year; at certain points there are no options but squash and beets and even then so many of them are imported (strangely)!

ok let's see...apples in the fall, and cranberries, pears, plums

summer you can get berries locally, tomatoes (not sure if you count those), peaches, apricots, cherries, nectarines, plums, grapes, currents

this is for ontario, so not sure about ireland...i think we have similar climates? just gets colder here

yes, in fall/winter you're a bit out of luck. BUT during the summer you could stock up and freeze berries, etc. then make smoothies and raw ice cream and fruit soups for fall/winter.

opening yourself up to mediterranean probably helps a bit.

• eechoeecho Raw Newbie

Profound video on eating locally: Why Indigenous People can be health on different diets

• camiheartsrawcamiheartsraw Raw Newbie

I live in Seattle, WA in the US and hardy kiwis do really well here. They are smaller than you'd picture and you can eat the skin easily. I think this is the strain I have and they are quite prolific:

http://www.territorialseed.com/product/1282/439

I'm also thinking about getting a couple shrub variety pomegranate and meyer lemon trees that I can wheel in and out of the house depending on the season. Goji berries do well in temperate climates and I'm hopeful my fig tree will make it through these colder days we are still having. Grapes usually do alright depending on the variety. The territorial seed company link I posted may give you some ideas as well...they sell plants that grow well in the pacific northwest of the US, which is very wet although our winters are pretty mild. It is difficult if not impossible to eat local sweet fruits during the winter if you are allergic to apples in this area. I usually break down and eat more dried and frozen fruits during the winter. blech.

My family has a green house now, so I'm hoping we can grow our own greens at least during the winter. I'm hopeful.

Cami