Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Running & 811

susan121susan121 Raw Newbie

I'm a runner, and I've been marathon training for a while now. Getting ready for my first in July. For a little over 8 months, I've been in keeping with 811, and I honestly think it has made all the difference in my training. Are any of you guys 811 runners?

Comments

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

i am but i didn't notice a difference in my running until i went barefoot. i was a terrible runner even with doing 80 10 10 . i just needed to ditch my shoes!! now it's like my favorite thing to do. i don't time it or know how many miles i go since it's outside, but it's a great feeling to be good at it.

• RawEverythingRawEverything Raw Newbie

I run almost bare foot (VFF's) , It's really great but it really hard to gain enough strenght in my feet ("broke" my left feet 5 weeks ago and really broke my right feet last year and of course the enormous muscle pains).

But The enjoyment is so great that it's worth it. I am crazy that's true.

• susan121susan121 Raw Newbie

Oh, I keep reading about barefoot running. Maybe I'll try it soon! The places I run are mostly dirt roads and wooded areas, so I may have to invest in some VFFs (I need an excuse to buy some anyway :P).

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

i don't have vibrams yet so i stick to dirt, concrete, and grass. i'd definitely like to do woods though. it didn't take my feet too long to adapt to the ground (maybe 3 runs?)

I tried it tonight.... my feet are already sore but it was pretty exhilarating! I think I'm just gonna run barefoot for fun and keep training in shoes, just because I'm running the marathon in shoes.

Thanks for the barefoot tip!

• man... I'd love to run barefoot but I'm so clumsy I'd worry about stubbing my toes and such. Also, are you not more injury prone barefoot running, or am I wrong? I've been interested in this, but I have my doubts about it...

• I'm a runner but don't follow 811, what types of benefits have you noticed?

• RawEverythingRawEverything Raw Newbie

It is possible to run bare foot on every surface, if you search the internets you will find people who run bare foot on every thing. I'm hesitated about it there's a lot of glass and nails and iron bits, broken tiles where I run, it should be possible but I feel better with vff's on :).

I'm still struggling with feet that are to weak, did run about 10km Thursday went ok but now it's Saturday and I still have muscle pain. I found rope-jumping that increases strength in feet and legs I will try that (of course the stupid warnings with it: do it with good shoes, be careful, not to much at a time. bah. If I was a child and felt that I must rope-jump i did it without thinking if I got the suitable shoe to do it. even so with running. Just run! even on rubber boots/flipflops you can run as a child why not as a grown up) a grown up body is just to weak.

I've been barefoot running almost every day since I posted this, and wow is it fun. I find I can run a lot longer when I don't wear shoes. So far, the only "injury" I've sustained has been getting a giant thorn stuck in my next-to-big toe. And even that isn't so bad! Love it! Thanks for bringing it up you guys!

And Coconut Love... I saw a night and day difference in my running when I switched over to raw foods, but it eventually dwindled and I was feeling sluggish. 811 has been a huge help for me... and it pretty much follows the standard for a runner's diet, although a bit more fat is recommended sometimes. 811 has worked really well for training for a marathon, but I'm not sure if I'll keep it up once I'm done.

• Hi. Would you please tell me what you mean by 811? Thanks!

• eathealthyforlife:

it means eating 80% carbs (mainly from fruits, some from leafy greens and other veggies), 10% fat (avocado is a good source), and 10% protein

you can eat 811 NON-raw too. a good way to track it is with www.fitday.com-- you can enter all your foods in for each day, and below you should see a little pie chart that balances out how much carbs, protein, and fat you've consumed in percentages.

811 can be very beneficial but it takes a lot of effort in terms of letting go of a LOT of foods... that is, if you do it the way Doug Graham suggests and you omit even dried spices, etc.

here, check this out: http://foodnsport.com/faq.html