Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Issue with raw zuchini

rawlizardrawlizard Raw Newbie

Does anyone knows why my body rejects raw zuchini? I feel an open rejection to even the smell of it. Is there anything in it that may not agree with me, or is purely psychological? (I am not inclined to that option...) Does anyone feels the same about them?

Comments

• It's not just you, I totally have the same problem. So maybe it's just you and me, but at least you're not alone, ha! When I used to eat things cooked, I could have it no problem, but I tried making a "cheesy zuchini" dish in my dehydrator awhile back and I liked the taste of it but it did NOT agree with me. Serious stomach pains! Then I thought maybe it was just a fluke, so I made a tomato pasta with zuchini noodles and yup! Pain again. And now I can't stand the look or idea of eating it. I obviously can't digest it easily, so I've given up and switched to making carrot "noodles" whenever there's a recipe that calls for zuchini. I've also noticed that egg plant is sometimes a good alternative, so I use that in place of zuc here and there and have had very few problems with it...

• rawlizardrawlizard Raw Newbie

Thank you so much Veggiebean for your comforting comment. Yes it's kind of strange to have that sensation, but I can't stand it!

I think that it is a great idea to replace it with carrots! I will do that next time.

I wonder what is in it that makes us reject it. The only problem I have right now is that I am growing zuchinis and have TONS. I will steam them, I can totally eat them fine when they are a little cooked.

Health and wisdom. Rawlizard.

• greenwoodgreenwood Raw Newbie

I don't think I could eat them raw either- I plan to lightly steam mine. But perhaps cucumber could be substitued sometimes. You do mean courgette by zucchini don't you?

• Hmmm, never heard of people rejecting raw zucchini. What about yellow summer squash? Do you also reject that? Just curious.

• I HATE the taste of raw zucchini too! but not when they're sliced thinly and made into raw pasta, since the raw taste is covered up.

• I don't do well with any raw squash so far. I'm not big on the taste and my stomach rebels. Carrots make a wonderful stand in for pad thai (carrots + nut flavors are a great combo) and I have had luck with daikon radish if i balance it with something less sharp like mushrooms. No squash though, except one time I marinated and dehydrated it and it was fine, that wasn't for noodles though. My fiance handles it better but even he sort of agreed AFTER I said something about it not settling well with me but I've seen him eat a plate full of "pasta". I could barely get past three bites, yick.

• How do you combat the bitterness on the eggplant? Are you using japanese or another milder eggplant, marinating it or don't mind the bitterness?

• I don't like the taste of raw zucchini either. My body takes it OK after I choked some of the stuff down. I am still hesitant to use it as pasta though.Yuck!

• Eves5Eves5 Raw Newbie

I'm not 100% if it applies or not but you could be reacting the same way some people do to cilantro. It's hard wired into some peoples genes to smell and taste soap when they eat it. Just a thought and some interesting reading if you look into it.

ClaireT