Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

What makes a successful raw foodist...

2»

Comments

• i've seen him criticise chocolate. anyways, it's fine whatever ridiculous or otherwise. i don't care if he sits at home and eats mcdonalds all day, was merely highlighting to DR who, lets be honest, thinks the sun shines out Doug's arse, that he's not this amazing superbeing all 811 and perfect

• greenwoodgreenwood Raw Newbie

An athlete is above good fitness level- it is super fitness level- not everyone can be or wants to be an athlete! What matter is that one gets some exercise daily and can manage their life without being tired all the time and able to walk a few miles a day. I cannot afford bus fares most of the time and sometimes walk 5 miles a day.I can do it without being knackered but couch potatoes I know cannot.

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

I think DR promotes a high-fruit lifestyle because it makes sense to him and the nutritional numbers (objective) are there, as well as his blood-test results. It's not like he read Doug Graham's book, didn't try the diet, and started advocating it blindly. DR is walking the walk. Er, if that's the proper phrase. :p

• swayzeswayze Raw Newbie

Agree, superfood. DR was mainstream raw before switching to low fat, high fruit raw vegan and saw much better results. I remember him posting before and after pics on Dr. Graham's vegsource message board a couple years back and the results were amazing. Harley may be a bit intense (perhaps that's an understatement!), but his message is a positive one and comes from research and his own personal experience.

Swayze

• couldn't agree more, there's nobody out there more 'intense' than DR :)

there isn't only one way to succeed on raw food, i guess in a way i asked a leading question. there may be similar factors that successful raw people share (and we ain't all athletes) but people can be successful for different reasons and i really didn't mean in terms of what raw food makes you successful....

nevertheless interesting answers and i appreciate the input

• CeidrenCeidren Raw Superstar

Oh yes, greenwood, I've always liked to walk places, often going for many miles each day, but I never do anything for the moralistic reason that I "should exercise," nor do I drive to a gym and then jog in place in some room where the air is fogged with the smell of people's chemical deodorants. The nasty way that the wider world talks about "exercise" has often irked me; in order to avoid criticizing the food industry, big corporations and lack of regulation of toxic, cheap junk food that many people are stuck with, obese people are being blamed for not "exericising" when that has little to do with weight, while healthy eating and their bodies emotional history is what needs to be looked at.

Dogma is only "positive" if you also follow it.

I must have walked about 5 miles yesterday- went to dentist and the bus only went there so far (need 2 buses to get there directly) so walked on after getting on bus and walked all the way back. Mananged all that fine wihout being worn out in the slightest (I'm 42) but many people these days cannot do that even youngsters half my age.I saved myself

Good for you, greenwood! Being fit definitely isn't limited to the marathon runners and cyclists among us. I consider myself to be very fit and healthy and yet I often workout for less than an hour per day. And I NEVER run long distances and rarely ever cycle anymore. I prefer short, intense workouts followed by enormous, delicious banana smoothies. :)

Swayze

Sounds good swayze! I got given some bananas from a fruit stall man yesterday! I had got some carrots, broccoli and beetroot from him.

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

You dont need to run hours per day like many lead you to believe to be fit.

Infact high intensity cardio has been proven in studies to be better for cardiac health, improving fitness and weight loss overall.

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

Agreed, HIIT is great! I like distance running as well, but mine is usually low-mid distance. I'm not a marathoner, don't want to be.

Definitely, powerlifter. There are SOOO many studies out there proving the effectiveness of HIIT for fat loss, strength building, VO2 max improvement, etc. over steady state training.

One of my favorites is from the book PACE where Dr. Sears had a set of twins eat the same amount of calories, yet one was doing HIIT and the other was doing traditional steady state. The one doing HIIT lost significantly more fat and gained more muscle while the other lost some fat but actually lost muscle.

Swayze

• Hi all. These comments are so timely - I have been considering changing my fitness routine. I run 3-4 miles about 3 times a week and feel stagnant. I love to be outside which is why I do it but it just isn't giving me that "healthy feeling". Wondering if HIIT would be better. I have avoided it do to my adrenal and lower back issues but now I think maybe it would help. Any ideas for HIIT outdoors?

beaglelove, check out bodyrock.tv for some awesome HIIT workouts.

Swayze

• Thanks Swayze - Will do!

• RawGreensForMeRawGreensForMe Raw Newbie

no not u..