Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If You're Overweight or Unhealthy It's Because You're *NOT* Eating Enough Food

Most overweight or unhealthy people think they got that way from eating too much food.

I sure used to think that

Comments

• I really love this. This is exactly the reason why i am raw. I am trying really hard to remind myself when i have cravings for cooked food. Thank you for sharing this :)

• swayzeswayze Raw Newbie

Love this! I like to make the distinction between food and nourishing. Sure, there are lots of different edible things out there that I can eat to get enough calories and fuel my body. But are these foods actually nourishing?

Swayze

• @TwoBitFoodie Yes! I don't even crave those things I used to crave anymore because I don't consider them FOOD. It's a great mindset to have.

@Swayze Exactly! Just because we CAN eat it, doesn't mean we should or that it's good for our bodies. Nourishment is the primary benefit of eating. We've lost sight of that though. So it's really good when we start remembering it.

~Mona

• greenwoodgreenwood Raw Newbie

I shudder at some of the things I used to eat now...

• swayzeswayze Raw Newbie

Haha, me too greenwood! Deviled ham, vienna sausages...yuck! ;)

Swayze

• what if you eat whole foods, such as quinoa, or cooked beans . plain with fruit, is that still bad food?

• eating cooked whole foods is much better than eating junk food. it still has some nutritional value

Cooked wholefoods in my opinion and in the opinion of many naturapths and the vegan society are not bad. It's how you cook them- boiled to death vegetables, tinned salty peas- no. But steamed potatoes, sweet potatoes, broccoli, cauli, parsnips etc- good for you. Also some organic lentils, beans and rice I think are also good. I have these and have no digestive problems.

"Haha, me too greenwood! Deviled ham, vienna sausages...yuck! ;)

Swayze"

Ewwww...I bet you are glad you gave them up! I haven't eaten meat since 1986. I was shuddering at the thought of soya mince and processed frozen potato products, sugary sweetcorn relish, ready made sauces.

• @Sweet: Just think about what your reason is for eating those things. If you're trying to get protein, there are many, many ways to get protein that your body and digestive system and everything might enjoy more than cooked beans, ya know?

As I was writing to someone else on my blog when I posted this article...cooked whole foods might not harm the body, but I'm not interested in just not causing harm to my body. I choose to eat foods that are going to bring with them the PRESENCE of health and good feelings. I find that raw foods do that 100% of the time.

- Mona

Cooked wholefoods are not bad for the body or digestive system- there is no scientific evidence to prove it. Pulses, organic rice, quinoa, steamed cauli, spuds etc are healthy and nutritious. Some vegetables need gentle cooking as they are inedible raw or difficult to digest. Sticking to 100% raw can be limiting and leaves out some sources of great nutrition such as minerals, such as high calcium from beans.Beans are exceedingly good and full of nutrients and I feel it is good sweet eats them.Whilst raw food is fabulous it is not the only way to good health- the key is to have good nutrition and a varied diet which having some cooked wholefoods allows. There is a big difference between eating Mc Donald's and steamed spuds or broccoli.

• True!!! the reason why people try to go 100% raw is because they usually ate processed junk like candy,cake, cookies, they think by going 100% raw it will stop them from eating junk . But if your someone that eats only wholefoods and fruit,veggies, that is the best diet you can have. Just because food is dehydrated and raw, doesnt mean its healthy, I feel so much better with cooked organic quinoa then raw dehydrated buckwheat .

• CeidrenCeidren Raw Superstar

I agree with Greenwood about lightly cooked whole vegan foods not doing harm; no matter how much life force is in 100% raw foods, if someone can't manage to be stable while eating them, there is no benefit. Also, sadly people can be overweight while eating only healthy, organic, nutrient-packed raw foods as well. It's because their issue isn't purely nutritional.

"True!!! the reason why people try to go 100% raw is because they usually ate processed junk like candy,cake, cookies, they think by going 100% raw it will stop them from eating junk . But if your someone that eats only wholefoods and fruit,veggies, that is the best diet you can have. Just because food is dehydrated and raw, doesnt mean its healthy, I feel so much better with cooked organic quinoa then raw dehydrated buckwheat ."

I haven't a dehydrator and don't see the point of paying

• I cook my quinoa plain, I add no salt nothing. Just plain coooked quinoa:) its so tasty and light. I sometimes add raw red bell pepper with parsley and tomatoe. But I usually like it plain:) mmmm. I just had some quinoa and some nectarines..

• I've come across plenty of raw food junk food too. I'm with ya'll on the dehydrated stuff not necessarily being as life-giving as other foods.

• Some people turn to eating dehydrated foods for veriety and something heavier and satisfying, but they all know right after eating it its like eating dry cardboard LOL. It makes you feel heavy and theres no water in it, even if you cook wholefoods, theres plenty of water in it so its easily digested. I dont know how people like dehydrated veggies and fruit, its so good water rich.

• What an excellent post! Reminds me of how I started thinking regarding animal flesh and fluids when I first went vegan. Seems like raw is the next step up. :)

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

Although its a nice view, we can still gain weight eating healthy food its always a case of calories in vs calories expended. If we take in too much were going to put on weight.

• I love the idea that French fries aren't "food." Awesome!