Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Had really bad cravings for meat the other day and..........................

Had really bad cravings for meat the other day and..........................

felt like I wanted to eat a piece of meat really really badly.

That is all I could think of all day and i was in a really bad mood, and felt like i was going to go crazy.

I just went vegan on the 23rd, but was on a faily strict diet prior to this , i omitted eggs a month prior, and meat before that, and was on reduced milk.

OK, so I had some b12 1000 IUs in the cupboard but I haven't started taking them yet.

So I didn't know what to do because i felt terrible , tired , and if it was b12 I was told it could be years before you need to supplement.

Well, I took one before i went to bed, i decided NOT to eat the meat.

The next morning I took another one, and went to work and felt better.

That was a few days ago, and i have been taking b12 and have had NO cravings for meat.

Was is a b12 deficiency???

I believe so, just decided to take care of it myself, without going to the doctors.

(BTW, I also was taking multi-vitamins that I have left (not vegan) and the have 25UI in them, but I don't think that is enough)

Comments

• Maybe but it could just have been a craving in general, you might have been craving other nutrients.

Without blood tests its hard to tell i guess. Monitor how you feel in the next period:)

http://www.amlaberry.co.uk

• I've never had a meat craving since I gave it up in 1986. I find the sight, taste and smell of it nauseating. Rawcanadian- I know it isn't raw or that healthy but, at least they are not meat and are vegan/vegeterian- eat fake bacon, meaty veggie burgers, fake turkey rolls or such like- that way your craving will be satisfied- you get that meaty taste without eating a dead animal.I tried some of these products years ago and I spat them out- taste and texture too like the real thing for me.

• Cravings are also just emotional, psychological--if you've eaten a food all your life, it makes sense you would have a connection to it that is other than nutritional. You could have been just craving the toxins inside a really terrible food, craving the damage it causes, or just something in general that is 'heavy.' Deficiencies definitely don't show up after a couple of months, unless you have a severe digestive disorder, in which case you would need supplements regardless of the diet.

• I am finding a craving for processed rubbish is different to craving a passion fruit. A craving for a fruit or vegetable seems to me the body asking for goodness and lovely tastes, whereas craving for junk food is the addiction to additives. I would crave and crave bread and eat it and then end up bloated. I can eat passion fruits to my hearts' content. :)

• Well I don't crave meat, and I don't want to eat meat, so I just don't understand this craving that I had. It is so hard to explain!!!

All I could think about was meat, it was driving me crazy, even though I didn't want meat.

I was fatigued, tired, and felt burnt out, and very sickish.

That was last Sunday, and today I feel like I can run a marathon.

Also, even though I eat some of the vegan meat substitutes , they don't really do anything for me, other than let me have a social bbq and "fit in" with the crowd.

Those things are transition foods , but i think pretending to eat animals, when you know it is wrong, could translate into insanity!!!