Raw Babies

So I have been about 80% raw for a bit over a year now, I was 100% raw for about 4 months... the #1 reason I couldn't keep it up was because my baby was suffering from anemia and had a very low bmi, he was in the 5th percentile for his age. After this I started eating more cooked grains/beans (as I really don't like sprouted grains other than quinoa, I eat sprouted beans sometimes) and introducing nutritional yeast to the both of us as b12 was what he was lacking. I was just wondering if there were any other raw moms out there who could give me some advice on raw forms of b12, and dense carbs? he eats plenty of fats like avocado, nuts and seeds, coconut... yet he still isn't gaining very much weight. advice??

Comments

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

There are no raw forms of b12 im afraid which makes supplementation necessary.

Even though im a raw fan id say its definitley not a healthy diet for a baby, babies need some of the conditionally essential amino acids when growing such as taurine, which isnt obtainable on a raw diet. Taurine is also found in breast milk and is added to commercially bought baby milks, but if your not breast feeding then the baby will suffer.

Taurine is just one of the examples, but raw is too lacking in nutrients for a kid, iodine is another which if your not supplementing seaweed your baby is going to have growth problems. Nothing to stop feeding your baby high raw though:).

Just my opinion.