Do chia seeds need soaking?

Just wondering if anyone knows if chia seeds require soaking for digestiblity like other nuts/seeds? I am using the seeds in a pesto/chia chip recipe. If anyone knows and could let me know that would be great. Thank you.

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie
    edited July 3

No there fine without soaking:), infact you can eat them straight from the spoon etc.

Some people make chia gel which is chia mixed with water but again its not necessary.

• I love chia seeds. I eat them sprinkled on top of salads! No soaking required.

• Thank you both so very much for answering my question. As we are very new to raw foods I have been trying different cracker recipes for our children. Thanks again both of you!!

• The RawtarianThe Rawtarian Raw Superstar

Do not soak!!! They absorb ten times their weight in moisture, so... if you soak you're going to be in trouble!

• Do chia seeds not have enzyme inhibitors like other nuts and seeds that require soaking?

edited July 3

They dont rawsweetwendy, so no need to soak, like i say you can eat them straight from the spoon.

• I like to soak them, I make lovely puddings, jellies and creams with soaked chia seeds, you can soak them with water, juice, almond mylk, anything... great for dipping sauces too.

I also make a chia, apple, cinnamon pudding in the morning which I call my chia oatmeal, so good!

edited July 3

deasmiles sounds nice:), do you have any recipes your willing to share especially the pudding and jellies? Im not very adventurous when it comes to food.

• Thank you deasmiles! My understanding was that chia seeds contained enzyme inhibitors similar to other nuts and seeds that interfere with digestion. That is why nuts and seeds require soaking. The apple, cinnamon, chia pudding sounds wonderful. Do you have a recipe for it. I am very interested in it. Thank you everyone for your replies, I really appreciate them.

• musiclvr56musiclvr56 Raw Newbie

I put chia seeds in my smoothie without soaking them.  Does not soaking versus soaking them have the same nutritional value?  Thanks!