Seaking support and NEW!

Hey everyone! I'm new to this site and came here to seek support. My names Heather, I'm 17 years old and i've been a vegetarian for 5 years on March 15th Ive also been cutting out most animal products besides the ones found in bread for about a year.

The past year and a half I've really been researching the raw food diet. However not many people support my decision and think it's an unhealthy choice. I'm really wanting to go raw for many reasons - I'm tired a lot, i have frequent UTI's, I have a chronic acne problem, etc ect. So hopefully with all the negative vibes im getting from my loved ones, this site can bring some positivity about my diet into my life.

So I just wanted to say hi and introduce myself, I hope i can get to meet lots of awesome, supportive people on here. :)

Comments

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

Welcome! I'd say, if you need support from people in person (or you care what they think or they are purchasing your food, since you're 17), maybe try 75% (by caloric intake) raw at first, and if they see you are doing well after a month or two, then maybe they won't fuss over your choice to be more raw, if you'd like, after that. Just eat lots of dark greens salads and fruits. :)

I support you! AS someone who had deep, painful pimples from teens to twenties (and I'm not perfect now, but soooo much better), I wish I had gone raw sooner.

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

Welcome to the forums:), yeah just try and eat as much raw food as possible if people arent supporting you as i suspect like superfood says that your parents purchase your food.

I had cystic acne myself, but raw or vegan wasnt enough to help, acne is a result of an imbalance of hormones, cleansing your liver via bitter herbs on the back of your tongue is the best method to balance hormones.

• Thank you for your support Superfoodz!! :) I'm glad your acne has cleared up! That's probably the best way to go about it is to slowly start being raw. My parents are the ones who buy the food for me, and since it's fall/winter around here, the farmers markets only have things like root vegetables and hard squash that wouldn't be pleasant to eat raw + they're expensive. 8 dollars for one butternut squash? No thanks. XD

I'm going to the supermarket with my Dad today to pick out some foods. Hopefully I can persuade him to buy much more raw produce than we normally do. It's somewhat expensive unfortunately and until i get a job I have to go by what they say.

• Thanks for the input PowerLifer :)

What bitter herbs do you suggest and how many should I take to see a difference?

You dont need more than one Munchies, any bitter herb or food has the same action, if i was to recommend one i had then andrographis is probably the most bitter herb i have. It is known as the king of bitters. You only need a pinch on the back of the tongue pre meal, it must come in contact with the back of the tongue as that is where the bitter receptors are located.

This enhances digestion by stimulating the vagus nerve to release stomach acid, pancreatic enzymes, bile secreation whilst providing a cleansing/flushing action to the liver. You need to up water intake intially to reduce detox effect.

hope that helps, helped me with alot of ailments i didnt even know were attributed to the liver. A good herbalist taught me this information.

• Thanks again PowerLifer! What interesting information. I've written that herb down in case I have a few extra dollars lying around to buy it :) For now I'll see if we have any bitter herbs lying around the house. Would cranberries work or grapefruit? Those seem bitter enough to me. :)

There not really bitter enough sadly, if you have access to dandelion then thats a decent bitter. Milk thistle seed powder also, capsules dont work though as like i say it needs to come in contact with the back of the tongue.

• I'll have access to dandelion when the warm weather comes back. Until then I'll have to wait. Thank you for all your help PowerLifer :) !