Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

slow cooker instead of dehydrator?!

nicolettenicolette Raw Jr. Superstar

Question! Now, can i use my slow cooker in place of a dehydrator. Would love a dehydrator but just cant afford one....been looking on auction sites etc but with living in the UK, there really isnt much going and i dont want to be spending tax duty etc by getting something from US. Any ideas would be most appreciated!

Thanks x x

Comments

• I have used my crappy electric oven (came with the flat) as a dehydrator by putting it on the lowest possible heat with the fan on and the door wedged slightly open. It's not too consistent or reliable for that purpose though.

• I also use my oven in a similar way, on about 50 degrees..it seems to work fine to soften up vegetables and slightly warm dishes. I only really use it with recipes where it says dehydrate for 1 to 2 hours. I doubt it would work for anything that you need to dehydrate for a long time to create a certain result like for flax crackers, though I have never tried.

I'm also in the UK so I know what you're talking about :)

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

I dont think a slow cooker would work, but as above ive heard alot of people using an oven at a low temperature to make dehydrated foods.

• daniefondaniefon Raw Newbie

This might sound crazy, but I've seen websites with instructions about making your own with a light bulb and a fan. It seems possible and might be worth a try.

• nicolettenicolette Raw Jr. Superstar

Aw thanks guys and girlies,.....and yes i had thought about making my own...so not a mad idea but im just a bit scared of setting fire alarm off in my flat....

• If it gets that hot, you're doing it wrong!

• daniefondaniefon Raw Newbie

Right! I've read about using a light bulb, that should pose no threat.

• LindaLinda Raw Newbie

No I guess. There is no such real replacement for dehydrators. I know people try oven as dehydrator.. but nothing comes as a replacement to dehydrators. There are many cheap dehydrators you can get in UK as well. Just check out on Amazon you can buy good dehydrator for less than $100. 

• ClaireTClaireT Raw Master

The sun, if you get enough of it and can construct something that lets the sun in and keeps the bugs out. 

Matt_Raw