Guiltless "Cheating" on Raw Food & any Raw Foodies out there from NYC?

I am 90 to 100% raw and vegan (most of the time). Once in a while I eat a cooked or non vegan food. Ex. almond butter, sushi or sashimi with brown rice, or unpasteurized tofu. On my birthday, I am going to an organic vegan restaurant that I love and I will be having the lasagna. I don't feel guilty because I feel good about my foundation and my staple foods. My body does well with simple raw recipes like kale, avocados, bananas, green juices, green smoothies, and nuts by themselves. Sometimes when I go to a raw food restaurant and eat something too heavy it literally does not want to go down and I feel extremely nauseous and sick for hours. Processed cooked foods make me sick as well and meat weighs me down which is why I turned to Raw. I am trying to listen to my body and figure out what is best for me. Is this kind of raw eating and "cheating" common among the raw community. If so, what kind of foods are best to "cheat" with. I really don't have any friends who are raw so I have no one to compare notes with which is why I am turning to this forum.

Also, any raw foodists in NYC??

Comments

• I changed/added this post Jan. 25th 2012. Please let me know your thoughts.

• You are so right to listen to your body. Adding some cooked foods like steamed vegetables, steam rice/lentils etc is common (I think) to many raw foodists. IMHO our eating habits are so personal. I believe that the more raw the better, however if you are craving a baked sweet potato, go for it! Just don't microwave it! SO listen to your body and enjoy your raw foods but don't get hung up on being a total raw purist if that is not YOU.

As for raw foodists in NYC, check out Craig's List under personals. Also check with NYC health food stores and raw restaurants.

Happy Birthday!

• I have the same philosophy as you. I listen to my body as well I feel so much better since adding meat and eggs back into my diet every week or two. I also don't make a big deal about splurging on junk food once in a while. Overall I'm very happy with the way I eat so I consider those treats :-).

• Pame'laVik'toriaPame'laVik'toria Raw Newbie

Me too! I mostly eat simple meals and mono meals. The better your digestion, the quicker detox happens.

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

I often wonder if eating mono and raw actually weakens the bodies ability to handle harder to digest foods. It is well known that the gallbladder will stagnate without adequate fats and quite alot of raw diets have become low fat.

Gallbladder stagnation causes poor bile flow which can cause the heaviness after fat rich meals. I believe the same could happen in theory with pancreatic enzymes and our body becoming lazy due to the low protein foods being consumed.

• Pame'laVik'toriaPame'laVik'toria Raw Newbie

I just find mono-meals digest so fast, and leave the body completely. So it's possible that the body does change, but I think the benefit of a very clean digestive track out-weight it.