omega 9 fatty acids in relation to the omega 6 and 3 ratio

So recently I saw the video by Rick Dina on EFAs and it really got me thinking.

I used to think it was difficult to get the proper EFAs and now this video made it a lot clearer for me.

Now I know that as long as I get the right ratio of omega 6 to 3 the body will naturally convert the ALA to DHA efficiently as much as I need it.

As for keeping the proper ratio of the omegas I thought I needed to consume about as much chia seeds/flaxseeds as any other type of fat I consumed. But fats like olive oil or any other high oleic acid fats and oils can contain mostly omega 9 fatty acids. Does this mean that it does not off-balance the ratio of fatty acids I consume in the day?

For example.. let's say I would do what I am used to doing and have about 15 g fat from olive oil. Do I need to consume 15g of fat from chia seeds to balance out the omega 3s with what.. omega 9s? That doesn't make sense. I thought it was only in relation to omega 6s. So does it mean that since the amount of omega 6 in olive oil is negligible I don't need to worry about the omega 6 to 3 balance and use it as "filler fat"?

Ok... maybe you're not the type to believe in oils. So instead I can have something else very high in oleic acid like pecans almonds, etc.

But do you get what I'm saying?

Do omega 9s off set the balance/ratio of omega 3s to 9s in a diet?

Comments

• is there a "good" ratio of omega 9s to 3 & 6 in the diet, even if omega 9s are non-essential fatty acids?