Long term vegan recovering from an (unrelated) eating disorder

Hi guys! I suppose I just start with the basics, huh?

I'm 19 years old (20 in like a month), from Australia. I've been very happily vegan for 5 years. I'm currently attempting recovery (again) from an eating disorder, and I've always had an interest in raw food, so I thought this would be a gentle, healthy way to ease myself back into actually eating. I actually did the same thing with my veganism. I was very sick, and very thin, and wanted to badly to get better, but the thought of having "all that food" scared the crap out of me. I ended up stumbling onto some information on veganism and it was like a switch was flipped. I knew straight away that was perfect for me. It really helped me out of a bad place.

But now, I know all the "junk foods" a vegan can have, and because its been so long, it seems like "all that food" all over again. A new way of eating gets me so excited about food, and creating, and experimenting that its easier for me to focus on being healthy, rather than being thin.

I'm really excited to be here.

Stay happy!

xo

Comments

• nicolettenicolette Raw Jr. Superstar

Aw, hi Corpus_Vile, your post kind of touched me....because i can empathise. And like you, i was so motivated to maintain my health and nourish my body, but not with the crap that we are bombarded with in the supermarkets.

I found that the illness can create so many rules....what you should be eating, when etc etc and i dont know about you, but i certainly found that living my life in accordance with these rules couldnt be any further away from what i truely value.....which is the mindful appreciation of what IS....freedom and liberation...and treating your body its environment with the most genuine respect and compassion.

And so through listening to my body...really becoming in-tune with what she needed, i was able to meet her needs....and feel energised and well. And for me anyway, because i was loving her and caring for her, the other crap from the eating disorder became insignificant - what was more important was nourishing without analysing.....

I suppose i let my body guide me....you know? Rather than let that beast of the illness dictate what to feed your body on....allow your body to speak...give her a voice...and she will heal you.

I wish you love and strength on this journey....though a hard and enduring one, it has been the most insightful and rewarding of journeys i have certainly taken.....and what's more, you never know from one moment to the next what she will desire.

Love her, love yourself and you will find true inner happiness. x 0 x

• Pame'laVik'toriaPame'laVik'toria Raw Newbie

No matter what people are dealing with in life, I think most people will benefit from green juicing. So many of my cravings decreased then disappeared when I juiced daily. Even my thoughts and concentration became clearer. Our brains, like all organs need wonderful nutrition. I've seen many documentaries where they try to force people with eating disorders to eat food they are scared of- namely cheese, pizza, icecream. Well these foods are destructive to the body. We all need to concentrate on fruit, nuts and seeds, seaweed, green veggie juice, ect. I wish you the best! As you make changes, you will love the way your body feels and looks.

• Hey there, I dealt with a similar issue. Eating disorder for 8 years. Came into spirituality an raw food and finally found some peace :)

Would love to hear your story. All my love.

Sarah