gross but necessary facts of life

Ok, this one is for people who have been raw a while, and/or who have a lot of info on the matter. It’s gross, so get ready: What should the stool of a raw vegan be like? I have heard something on Oprah (Dr. Oz was a guest) about color and consistency, but this was for people on the SAD diet. I have been raw for a couple of months, and I have noticed some changes, but I am not sure if that is due to detox, or if increased health. Can anyone tell me what things should be looking like? Be specific, I can take it!!

Comments

• the biggest differance I’ve noticed is very little mess afterwards, very easy to clean. Also things come out much more smoothly, more often and less stinky.

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

I’ve noticed something entirely different while detoxing/cleansing. Stool is very soft, very greenish and it happens very frequently, sometimes without much warning. I suppose it all depends on what you need to eliminate. On other days, it makes that “s” shape that Dr. Oz was talking about on Oprah and is a browner color. I think it depends on what you eat for awhile. This topic comes up all the time in my MS group. I never would have shared such intimate details if I weren’t so used to it! Good question.

• Thanks! The greenish softness is exactly the thing that had me nervous! I guess that is a sign of detox, wooohooo!

• Morning_theftMorning_theft Raw Newbie

See I would imagine the greenish colour would come from all the green smoothies… I’m pretty sure it’s just chlorophyll…

• debbietookdebbietook Raw Master

I’m convinced they shouldn’t smell bad on a raw diet. Other people should be able to use the bathroom straight after you. If they do smell, then there’s something wrong – eg perhaps too many different sorts of foods mixed together. I’ve noticed garlic has a really bad effect (like, worse than the smell of the garlic itself!) and this has caused me to review my eating of it! Debbie Took, UK

• The more greens you eat, the greener the stool. You can definently recognize a detox stool: very dark and maybe rubbery and very smelly. I can get very sick/uncomfortable up to a detox bm but the second its out Im fine again. Must be pure poison hehe

• Also, it should float. It should never sink. When your stool sinks.. you know you got a problem.

• uh-ooooh…

• stylistchickstylistchick Raw Newbie

i had a period of about a week where it was almost devoid of color, and it freaked me out, but then i thought maybe its less toxic, and thats why it was paler. hmmm.

• If its really pale it could be devoit of gall. As far as I remember thats not a good thing but if its ok now, the its probably just a detoxing thing of some sorts

• Sabriya I respectfully disagree with Weazelchef regarding floating stools. Healthy stools sink too. Floating stools often mean there is more air in them and thus they float. In fact, floating stools in some cases indicate malabsorption. Usually, healthier stools will sink to the bottom.

• pheeeew!! Because my almost never float.

• Floating usually means you are eating too much fat.

• Since I started with lots of greens (i.e. 10 oz of spinach blended into morning smoothie), stools have been rather greenish. If I avoid greens, the brownish color returns. On near 100% raw diet with lots of greens, stools are greenish, soft, long and shaped like a banana, no smell, they come out with ease, and are not messy. One to three times per day.

• Me too, me too! It was the greenishness that had me concerned. I thought it meant that I was not absorbing the nutrients well enough, but I guess that is not the case.