I'm new to raw and need some advice

Hello :)

For about 2 weeks now i have gotten very interested in becoming raw, i decided to go straight 100% almost straight away.

A few days into it i started feeling nauseous and getting strong headaches, on one particular day it got very bad, every time i ate some more raw food my headache and nauseous got even worse. I just thought it was probably i was detoxing too fast and this was the side effects from it. But it just got so bad i had no other choice but to eat some cooked foods, i ate a bit of butternut squash and felt better almost straight away, I'm still mostly raw but just including a few cooked foods like cooked butternut squash, potatoes and oatmeal. I really wanna get back 100% raw though, but decided maybe it be best i take it slowly, since i have a 7week old baby to take care off so need to take it easy. So i just need some advise on how may i approach it? Anyone got any tips and such when first getting into it? And also good ways to deal with the headaches and nausea?

Another thing i noticed when i was 100% that i was eating much much more fat then usual, like nuts and seeds, this seemed to me was because fruits and veg alone were not giving me my calorie needs for the day so i naturally went for high calorie concentrated foods like nuts and seeds. When i go back to 100% i want to avoid this, i wanna eat low fat because high fat for me isn't good for me, my body doesn't react well to too much high fat concentrate foods. I seem to do better with seeds then nuts though, but still only in moderation. Meeting my calorie needs for the day is very important for me since i am breastfeeding and looking after a baby, but how am i going to reach this with mostly fruit and nuts? Does anyone know what fruits and veg have the most calories? And how much of it i should eat.

Another problem that i occurred when i was 100% was i found it hard to eat lots of fresh veg. When i'm not 100% i can eat mounds full of veg and leafy greens on a tortilla wrap, but the same amount of veg i would be able to on their own. So i was thinking if anyone knew any good low fat raw salad dressings? That would make it much easier to eat lots of fresh veg! :) BUT I'm avoiding garlic, citrus fruits, onions and other strong spicy foods since it goes into my milk and makes my baby fussy, so the dressing would not only need to be low fat but free from those foods too! XD

Thank you anyone that can help! Will really appreciate it :)

Comments

• swayzeswayze Raw Newbie

Actually, I offer a free 5-week transition to raw course to those who subscribe to my mailing list. You can sign up here if you're interested: www.fitonraw.com

The best high-calorie fruit is the banana because it's cheap, available, and tasty. Grapes and mangoes are also higher in calories than most fruits. Dates are too, but I wouldn't eat too much of them since they are dried, very high in calories and therefore less nutritionally dense.

I love this simple salad dressing and eat it pretty much every night: 1 cucumber, juice from 1 lemon, 2 scallions, 3 ounces Hass avocado, and a little bit of water. You can leave out the scallion and it's still very tasty. You can also substitute the avocado with other fatty foods like pistachios or walnuts.

The dressing itself isn't low fat, but if it's the only overt fat you have for the day, then you'll still have a low fat day overall (around 10% of total calories consumed).

Hope that helps,

SWayze

• I totally echo dafodil's comment about giving it time. There's no rush, baby! Take it slow and go at a rate that's comfortable for you physically and mentally.

Introduce more raw and raw. Slow and steady wins the race. Further, you'll find that you won't binge on heavy nuts and seeds to fill yourself up or attempt to satisfy yourself...

• Pame'laVik'toriaPame'laVik'toria Raw Newbie

Me too! I have been 95-99% raw for 1 year 8 months. I tried 100% raw for 17 days, and had massive detox symptoms. I find potatoes good to slow things down (they don't wreak my digestion). So my new plan is to be 100% raw for a few days, until I feel detox is slowing me down, then have my potatoes.