Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Should we supplement on a raw diet.

Great to see this site is up again. Thanks, Rawtarian!

Is it necessary to use a multivitamin supplement when eating a nearly all raw, all vegan diet consisting of lots of fruit and a fair amount of veggies and greens? What do you guys think? Thanks!

Comments

• Claire TurnipClaire Turnip Raw Newbie

Personally, I take a natural multivitamin with minerals on most days. I do my best to make sure I'm getting enough through foods, since vitamins are more easily absorbed when they come from real food sources. I consider the multivitamin a "just in case" measure.

• Personally, even on a vegetarian/almost vegan diet, I supplement with vitamin D (for cancer protection and general health), B12 (nerve/brain protection) and fish oil (for omega 3 fatty acids, for heart and vascular health). I suppose if I lived somewhere where there's lots of sunny days throughout the year and with good access to fermented foods and lots of seaweeds, I wouldn't need to supplement at all! Unfortunately, living on a tropical island is not an option :) However I'm sure that on a healthy vegan diet you are already getting more nutrition than most.

• Claire TurnipClaire Turnip Raw Newbie

Tropical island life would be nice. I tend to dash a bit of crumbled up seaweed on top of meals to make sure I'm getting enough iodine since I don't eat fish. Lately, I've been importing it from somewhere in Norway, so it's not exactly tropical food, but I can dream.

• Yes, it is very correct.

The Rawtarian
  • LolaQuizLolaQuiz Raw Newbie

Yes, if you are completely raw vegan you should absolutely be taking B12 vitamins or shots. 

• ClaireTClaireT Raw Master

Good point, LolaQuiz. B12 can be difficult to come by in a raw vegan diet without some level of supplementation. 

• RawLiferRawLifer Raw Jr. Leader

From the research I've done over the last 4 years on a mostly raw food diet I have found out that B12 supplimentation is vital to your health.  Matt Monark, from the Raw Food world, has some tutorials on the subject I believe.  

ClaireT
  • JanaceJanace Raw Jr. Superstar

Don't forget Iodine if you are using sea salt. Iodine is very important to supplement with (I use one drop daily in water) as well as B12.

• RawLiferRawLifer Raw Jr. Leader

I forget about Iodine!  I use sea salt only.  thanks for the reminder!!  

ClaireT