Raw dates

Raw newbieRaw newbie Raw Newbie

Hi all,

I have dilema about dates and them being raw and fresh. On our maket there are not much varietes of dates available, and vast majority of consumers is not to familiar with term raw and raw food criteria. There are available organic dried raw Deglet Nour dates from very respectable European producer, and there are some other options. These raw Deglet Nour dates I beleve are really raw because this company is very ethical. But there are some other suppliers which are considerably cheaper. OK they are not organic but they claim that their dates are fresh. That should mean that they are raw too. They are really soft and taste very good too. They are softer than Deglet Nour, but I suppose that is because they are not dried? Or there may be some other reason. Can supplier claim that dates are fresh if they are sterilized or pasterized? Are dates raw if they are sulphored? There is no mention of any of there procedures on the label by the way. Basicaly my main question can date be fresh coming from thousands of miles far away place and without any chemical or other processing. I appreciate your time and help in advance!

Comments

• ClaireTClaireT Raw Master

Do you ever have access to fresh dates? They taste good and you can dehydrate them yourself, so there are less overall worries about if a supplier is actually doing what they claim. 

• Raw newbieRaw newbie Raw Newbie

Well I cannot say for sure, that is one of the reasons why I have asked this quiestion. One thing is for sure all dates have to travel to my country because here are no date farms. On the box of the dates I have purchased it is written "fresh dates" but I'm wondering if they travel several thousand miles could they be really fresh and endure standing on the shelf without any chemical or temperature treatment (sterilization, pasterization, sulphoring, ...)?

TammiTrue
  • TammiTrueTammiTrue Raw Master

That's a good point. Sometimes they get treated during shipping.