Raw Food & Allergies

I am new here and new to raw foods. I have noticed that a lot of the recipies contain nuts and was wondering how people with nut allergies eat and maintain proper nutrition while still following a raw food diet. I can eat nuts, but my daughter cannot eat nuts, soy, dairy, wheat, shellfish or seafood. The dairy, soy, and wheat are easy to avoid since she doesn’t eat them anyway, but it seems like a diet with no nuts would be very limiting.

Any advice or suggestions? Anyone else with nut allergies?

Comments

• KristensRawKristensRaw Raw Newbie

It’s still easy to eat Raw while avoiding a lot of nuts. You just need to eat tons of fresh fruit and veggies. Make salad dressings with avocado and citrus for example, instead of nuts. Or use olive oil. Of course, you don’t “as” much variety, but you’ll feel so great, you probably won’t mind. Don’t be dismayed by recipes with lots of nuts….there are still plenty out there without them. There are plenty of soups, salads, fresh fruit, veggie pasta with marinara or other sauces, smoothies, chocolate mousse and other desserts….there’s plenty :)

I have a great Moroccan Gazpacho recipe on my blog that has pine nuts in it, but you can omit that certainly. And, there is a pesto recipe on there also that has some pine nuts. I’d just try and make it without the pine nuts and add more sun dried tomatoes! It’ll probably be divine! In fact, sounds so good, I might go make some right now. Cheers!

Chef Kristen Suzanne

www.KristensRaw,com

www.KristensRaw.blogspot.com

• I have no problems without nuts, but I’m wondering about proper nutrition for a small child, who is the one with the allergies.