Getting Involved

Well, I think it’s time…time for me to get more involved. I know that the raw lifestyle is what I want. It’s not something I try to convince people or even try to explain to people what it is I’m doing…so I think I need to just more involved in the forums. So here I am! Hi! I’m Tessa…or so says my name. I’ve been doing about 80% raw for about 4 weeks now…I’ve lost 22 lbs (awesome!!) and I feel pretty okay. Honestly, I feel kind of mediocre at the moment. I know I need to do a detox…but I’m a little nervous. I live in Minnesota and this weekend I’m going up to the boundary waters…so I think after a weekend of some nice camping, I’m going to plan and execute my detox. Anyway…so I’m here. Glad to be here too! I am really going to try to get more active…it’s going to be the support of not only this forum, but the other raw food forums that will help me achieve my goal. And I’m glad you folks are all here!

Peace

-Tessa

Comments

• jenergyjenergy Raw Newbie

Hi Tessa! Hey, at 80% raw you ARE detoxing. Slowly. Which is why you’re just feeling so-so, I would guess. I’ve been around 80% for a few months now, keep flip-flopping, going back to cooked foods (I was vegan for about a year before that). It’s been a slow process for me, but I give myself permission to take as long as I need to get to a place of optimal health. Heh… that sounds good, huh? I get SO impatient with myself sometimes. It’s all an adventure. Welcome!! :o)

Jen

• Hi, I’m only about 50% raw right now. And I get angry with myself, but I plan on continuing and continuing increasing my raw until I reach 100%. I just know that one day I’ll reach my goal. Reading other people’s journey has helped me come to terms with the fact that everyone slips up while trying to transition, and it’s a comfort to me. =)

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

i don’t think we should think of these as “slip-ups” but rather permitted deviations. you know how great you feel when you eat raw, sometimes you forget and need to be reminded by eating something not raw.

oh, and tessa… isn’t it weird that we are “afraid” of detoxing? i was too. now i feel great and i think: “that really wasn’t hard at all… what was i afraid of? feeling great?” (p.s. yeah, i think you are detoxing too)

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

i don’t think we should think of these as “slip-ups” but rather permitted deviations. you know how great you feel when you eat raw, sometimes you forget and need to be reminded by eating something not raw.

oh, and tessa… isn’t it weird that we are “afraid” of detoxing? i was too. now i feel great and i think: “that really wasn’t hard at all… what was i afraid of? feeling great?” (p.s. yeah, i think you are detoxing too)

• It’s part of that whole instant gratification thing, ya know? We are so conditioned in this society to reach for that instant gratification…gimme gimme gimme right now!!! And I’m not going to lie…it’s hard as heck to overcome that! It takes a lot of focus and determination to see past that. It’s also very hard to do it when there is little support around you aside from what you find online in communities like these. I forgive myself for my “permitted deviations” (I like that much better than “slip-ups”), but I can’t help feeling frustrated as well. I guess I look at is as my own human-ness. I’m not perfect nor will I ever be. It DOES feel good to eat raw. Probably the biggest difference I’ve noticed is sleeping. When I eat cooked foods, especially later on in the evening, I have a hard time getting to sleep, staying asleep, and sleeping well. I dream vivid wild dreams (though sometimes they’re pretty…heh…sassy) and I toss and turn. When I eat raw all day, I sleep like a baby and my focus at work is fantastic all day. I have a slew of health problems that I’m fighting (nothing major) and a bunch that I’m trying to avoid (genetic late-onset diabetes, heart problems, high cholesterol, etc) and I know that the raw lifestyle will help, if not prevent it all. But man, you tell me that a strawberry poptart doesn’t seem to taste good! However, I’ll admit, that the more into I get, the more like plastic the ocassional poptart does taste like…and the less likely I am to eat it. So infact, I would suggest to those of us who are struggling…so go back and taste something…things just…don’t taste good anymore. I would prefer a handful of strawberries to that strawberry poptart anyday. Then I wonder why I wasted my money!!