Vitamix Stomach Ache Problem

rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

Does anybody get a stomach ache after eating soups or smoothies that has been mixed in a vitamix for any length of time??? I have been experiencing this lately, and have to take an enzyme tablet to feel better.

I am wondering if the air that is being whipped into the smoothie or soup is causing my stomach to hurt? (I am not using melons to avoid the bad food combo just in case)

How can I cut down on the amount of air in a smoothie/soup? Suggestions anybody? :)

Thanks…

Comments

• Hi rawmama! I’m sorry for your pain! All I can say is add ginger to the smoothie for digestion, or let it sit in the freezer or fridge for a little while and then stir. The other thing would be to follow your meal with fenugreek sprouts, or ginger tea, you may want to try addding or drinking some aloe as well.

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

Thanks writeeternity :) Seems like you and I always are online LOL!!! :) I am guessing it’s the air puffed into the smoothie/soups thru the speed of the vitamix’s blending power/speed, and definitely will try the letting it sit for awhile in the fridge tomorrow morning. AND I love ginger, I’ll try all of your suggestions and let you know how it goes. I have fenugreek that can be sprouted, but never sprouted it…how do you sprout yours? How large do you allow it to grow and about how many days? Funny, you just asked me that about wheatberries on the other 2 in 1 forum… Going to have some ginger tea now, my stomach isn’t upset now, but it just sounds too good and I can’t get the thought of ginger tea out of my head now… :) Thanks for your help!

• RCBAliveRCBAlive Raw Newbie

Hey WE and RM. I thought i would chime in here. I have never had that problem, but i have some thoughts. First WE, you said that it’s been happening lately. What has changed since it started happening? Did you just start using a vitamix? Have you changed the ingredients that you are using? you said you don’t use melon to avoid bad food combo, but you didn’t say what other fruits you use that may also be bad food combining. do you use any super foods that might not be agreeing with you? have you started adding fat, in the form of oil, nuts, seeds, or fatty fruit that you might not be digesting or might not be combining well? I found an amazing explanation of what combos work and what don’t at the following site. After exploring the combos that work, you can explore the ingredients you use and see if you are “in violation” lol.

http://www.rawfoodexplained.com/application-of-...

If you are not violating any of the combos, I think i would try using another blender with the same ingredients (if you have access to one). Of course it would mean chopping things pretty well before blending, but i think this would be a fast way to find out if it is the power/speed of the vitamix. You also didn’t mention what model you have. if you have one with variable speed you could always try blending on a very low speed. If not you could use the low setting on your model. This would take longer, but it wouldn’t be as fast or powerful. Let me know how things work out.

• Hi Rawmama and rcb! I sprouted the fenugreek for about a week and used it in salad dressing mostly. When I was at summer camp we’d have mac and cheese with wheatberries. I always thought that was neat! So you could try them in my mac and cheese recipe.When I was dehydrating the zuchini for my mac and cheese i put oil on them so when it came time to mix the zucaronis were kind of slippery. So if I were to do it again I’d leave out the oil but you’d have to keep an eye on them so they didn’t get too hard. I’d also warm it a little as I ate it cold.

• this may be a total shot in the dark but do you eat a lot of baby spinach? i have been raw almost 3 months and have had bloating and nausea since then. i started keeping a food diary and have finally isolated baby spinach as the culprit. i used it in everything – smoothies, soups, salads – and almost everything that i blended (not using a vitamix). just a thought…

• KristensRawKristensRaw Raw Newbie

You can also use your food processor to make soups and it limits the amount of air being whipped into it. Speaking of soups, I just posted a great new raw soup recipe on my blog. Check it out. Easy and super delicious. Perfect for the Fall Season. Cheers!

Chef Kristen Suzanne

• KristensRawKristensRaw Raw Newbie

That’s hilarious!!!! Have no idea how my name got so big on that post!!!