Raw Food & Endometriosis/Estrogen

lstorzlstorz Raw Superstar

Hi everyone! I have been looking for information about how raw foods affects endometriosis and estrogen levels in women. I haven’t been able to find anything about this topic in the materials that I’ve read so far. Any suggestions? Thanks so much!

Comments

• Hi Istorz, Here’s a little info: http://www.newstarget.com/001384.html Baby male trout raised in a tank grew up looking like females when small amounts of laundry detergent were added to the water. 42% of the male bass in the Potomac River are producing eggs. Patients tell me that the wrong kind of laundry detergent makes them bloat more. Bloating just before the period is typical of estrogen dominance and present with women with endometriosis and menstrual pain.

Laundry Detergent - This was a surprise!

Parabens Lotions and Shampoos have Parbens in them as a preservative. Parabens were found to be estrogenic. Cut out all parabens from your liquidy stuff you use on your skin, you will improve in 2 months.

A Natural Protection Against Estrogen Overload By John Foster, MD

We are living in the age of estrogen. The food supply is laden with traces of herbicides, pesticides and petrochemical residues from plastics, all of which have estrogen-like, endocrine disrupting effects in animals and humans. These xenobiotics, or foreign biological substances, have been linked to abnormalities and cancers of human tissues that are hormone sensitive, including fibrocystic breast disease, breast cancer, cervical cancer and dysplasia, endometrial cancer, endometriosis and ovarian disease as well as prostatic hypertrophy and cancer.

How can we protect ourselves from these influences? Eating a whole food diet of organic or biodynamic foods, free of pesticides, is an important first step. Healthy water is the next. Municipal water supplies may be sources of many chemicals and water in plastic bottles can contain residues of polycarbonate plastics called phthalates, which are endocrine disrupters. It is important to drink only pure mineral water or water that has been treated by a reverse osmosis (RO) system.

Our bodies regulate and eliminate estrogens by the action of detoxifying enzymes in the liver. There are two pathways of estrogen oxidation and conversion, one of which converts it to a beneficial and non-toxic form 2-OH estrogen and another which converts it to the 16-OH estrogen form. The 16-OH form is carcinogenic and causes diseases of tissues that are responsive to hormones, including disorders and cancers of breast, uterus, cervix and prostate, and probably lung and colon. Xenoestrogens push the system toward the 16-OH pathway both directly and indirectly.

Cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower, kohlrabi, bok choy, Brussels sprouts and cabbage contain a substance called indole-3-carbinol (I3C) which is activated and liberated when the vegetables are crushed in a wet environment, that is, when they are chewed, chopped or pounded. In the presence of stomach acid, I3C combines with itself to form DIM (di-indollyl methane). DIM induces certain P-450 enzymes in the liver to block the production of the toxic 16-OH estrogens and enhance the production of the beneficial 2-OH forms.

Studies have demonstrated that DIM reduces the incidence of fibrocystic breast disease, cervical dysplasia, endometriosis and prostate enlargement. In fact, the 2-OH form is not only benign but also enhances the process of apoptosis, the spontaneous death of damaged and cancerous cells. DIM also acts as an active surveillance for cancer cells. This is very exciting and while there is much to learn and more to say, I can state with assurance that this phyto-nutrient may be one of the most important protective substances of this new century.

It is very important to eat cruciferous vegetables every day for protection against diseases that may be induced by exposure to environmental estrogens. As raw cruciferous vegetables contain goitrogens, it is best to eat them fermented, because fermentation neutralizes these thyroid-depressing substances. (Cooking also neutralizes the goitrogens, but also deactivates I3C.) In fact, low rates of breast cancer in Polish women have been attributed to their daily consumption of sauerkraut. (Science News 9/23/00)

The amount of vegetables needed to supply adequate DIM for full protection or as part of a program of cancer treatment is at least two pounds daily. Of course, it is not always practical or possible to eat such large amounts of pickled vegetables. Fortunately, DIM is available as a supplement. I recommend it to almost any patient over 40 and anyone with a family history of breast or uterine problems as well as cancer of the lung, colon or prostate. I also add DIM to any hormone replacement therapy program for an added safety factor to prevent the above diseases. I have also used DIM successfully to treat PMS.

DIM is available from Tyler and Bio Response and directly from Healthyhumans.net or call 1-800-473-2810.

About the Author John Foster, MD is a member of the Steiner Medical and Therapeutic Center in Phoenixville, Pennsylvania. He also serves as Associate Director of the Center for Integrative Medicine at Thomas Jefferson University in Philadelphia.

• I would like to share my experience with my painful menstruation period for many years until 2002 and how detox, vegetarianish, vegan and, most important of all, raw eating, fixed that. Of course, I talk for myself and about my experience. I am no doctor, so I do not prescribe anything to anybody. I suffered for years of a painful menstruation period for many years. Until 2002, I was addicted to Tylenol, Artritis high dossage, every month. I was taking over dossis of this over the counter medication due to the increasingly pain every month. From 7 days, my period was already lasting up to 12 days. This was not ok, I knew it was not ok. The doctors said it was normall and nobody would like to check it out. I did have once pre-canceruous cells in my uterus cauterized with cold laser. I was fearing endometriosis or even cancer. While studying the Natural Hygiene course in Natural Health from fitforlife.com, I came accroos to the explanation of what my problem was, which until now, nobody knew why the pain was the way it was. What I felt was my intestine being pushed and compressed. I could not evacuate, but it was not constipation. It wa menstruation pain, what they call it to be, but it was very strange. It turned out that my intestine was to irritated, probalby with a chronich gastritis, and inflamated, that when the folicules which grow in the uterus, grow, they do not have space because the intestine is too inflamated. Then, it gets compressed, hurts and I got that pain they called menstruation pain. So, to put it to the test, I followed a 6 week detox in fruits and some juices. then I fasted three times, 1 time 3 days, then 5 days and then 3 days in a period of two months. In between, I stayed eating only fruits. The pain went away. I first lost my period for 3 months, which is normal, since my reproductive system and digestive system where sick and the body was working in healing it, and then when it came back, I did not even notice it!! No pain, no inflamation, no sweeling of my bali, nothing and so it stayed. My period lasts now up to 5 days, some 4 days. I do not have to drink any painkillers since there is no pain anymore. I can evacuate ok with no issue. I did read that a fast, of a series of fasts combined with a raw diet, could help endometriosis. Well, that is my experience.

• lstorzlstorz Raw Superstar

Thanks writeeternity & jirizarry! Your information is helpful. I need to find a time to completely detox. I appreciate the insights.

• My problem is not pain but as soon as I switch to a mostly raw diet, my periods last forever. The last time it was three straight months and I had to go on a low dose birth control pill to change it. I stayed on for a couple of months went off, but then returned to eating badly. I just started raw again, and low and behold my period started and hasn’t quit. So I just got another months supply of pills. I hate this. I am 48 years old and probably premenopause. Any advice would be supremely welcomed….I have nine children so I am not concerned about remaining fertile!!! ;)

• MarichiesaMarichiesa Raw Newbie

mothergoose,

Could the extra long period be one way of your body detoxing? Good Luck sticking with raw foods for you and your husband! I hope it helps you both.;o)

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

The information writeeternity is great info. To clarify something in the post: The Estrogen that is causing the male fish to generate eggs and the rest of the wacky things is Xenoestrogens. From Wikiepedia : Xenoestrogens are novel, man-made compounds, that differ from archiestrogens (ancient, naturally occurring) produced by living organisms. They mimic the effect of estrogens presenting a potential ecological and human health impact. This is

• same is true for phthalates and estrogen mimickers. of course microwaving anything in plastics is a no no for many reasons, leaching being the biggest. I too have endo and was going to suggest cruciferous veggies for their DIM properties. fiber is also crucial to take when trying to rid the body of excessive hormones, otherwise it will just lie in the liver. look for sources of vit. e as this will help thin the blood and prevent the endometrial lining from collecting elsewhere in the abdominal area therefore causing adhesions or cysts.

http://www.lancasterlabs.com/News/envnews/sprin…

candles carry these chemicals to help “lift” the fragrance, plug in diffusers do as well.

• I’m wondering if when I quit eating meat both times, that affects me because I am drastically reducing the amount of hormones ingested via the stuff they give these poor animals.

• I’m wondering if when I quit eating meat both times, that affects me because I am drastically reducing the amount of hormones ingested via the stuff they give these poor animals.