Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Holy detox symptoms!

MikenessmonsterMikenessmonster Raw Newbie

Hi all! 

I have been eating 80% raw for the last three weeks (mostly fruits and leafy greens) during the day and a cooked vegan meal for dinner (usually baked tofu with brown rice and sauteed veggies).

I got into this way of eating due to my struggle with fibromyalgia, my weight, and general fatigue. I'm so excited I made this switch as I can already feel my energy levels climbing to places they haven't been in four years. Just for the record I am a 24 year old female. I've been experiencing some detox symptoms, and I'm just looking for some insight and validation that these will pass as they are worrisome. 

My detox symptoms are:

My acne is so much worse! My skin was clear when I began detoxing, and since my face has broken out all over my chin and forehead. They are deep pimples that don't come to a head, and the same ones have been lingering for weeks! 

I have a constant headache, which feels mostly like it's in my sinuses. I also have a lot of drainage down the back of my throat... my throat has been sore as well. 

My chronically tight neck has become so much worse and is making my headaches worse! I'm having trouble abstaining from my ibuprofen habit. What can I do? They are keeping my up at night!

Also just general body aches in places where I have had issues in the past. 

I'm also having heartburn after my cooked meal... I began taking apple cider vinegar pre meal and that seems to be helping.

How long will these symptoms last!? I feel like I've had a perpetual headache for the last two weeks! Is my cooked food dinner not allowing me to detox fast enough? I have been taking ibuprofen almost every day (cringe). I have been a smoker for the last two years and have finally gotten the patch and I'm smoking around one cigarette per day and will soon be off of them completely... I'm sure this is limiting my detox too! 

What do you guys think? Thanks!!

shedacaresmformaria

Answers

• ClaireTClaireT Raw Master

I think you are pretty incredible to be cutting down on smoking while changing your diet to mostly raw. That is a lot of change to go through! 

Everyone detoxes differently, so I can't say how long yours will last, but I've rarely heard of acne lasting for too long.

And don't feel too bad about the ibuprofen. I lean on it sometimes for a pinched nerve, myself. I know that no one wants to use it all of the time (yikes!), but I think it's there for a reason when we need it. 

mformaria
  • deer4deer4 Raw Newbie

You may want to see a doc about the symptoms. Between quitting smoking and diet change, your body is going through many changes.

• ocpaul20ocpaul20 Raw Newbie

People do not realise that the skin is our largest organ of elimination and when we start to detox, there are normally all avenues of elimination used by the body to get rid of 'stuff' as quickly as possible. If your skin is clogged up, then the elimination of toxins cannot get out that way and so have to go through the normal channels liver, kidneys,gut, etc

Controversially,  I suspect that years of face cream use is not a good thing for our skin, but thats only a hunch and I have no evidence for saying that. I think it might be an easier subsitute for healthy eating and good lifestyle but again, thats only a hunch and will be very unpopular with the women.

Dry skin brushing all over your body, arms, legs, back will help the skin get unclogged and get it working better and so will drinking a lot of water to aid flushing those toxins out through the kidneys, liver etc. Maybe a sauna would help too but not if you have high blood pressure or other health issues.

I went strictly macrobiotic (basically brown rice, pickles, miso, veggies) for 6 months and that caused a lot of elimination to occur too. I would say that as long as you drink enough and open up all the elimination channels, your body should be able to cope but it really depends on how badly you needed this detox ! If your body cannot get rid of everything quickly enough that it needs to, then there will be stuff trying to get out which cannot.

ClaireTTammiTrueMacGyver
  • MacGyverMacGyver Raw Newbie

Hi Mikenessmonster

I would not take Ibuprofen.  It kills the immune system.  It also sounds like you are acid, dehydrated and mineral / salt deficient. 

The acne, increase of headache and neck pain will also partly be due to toxins being released from organs, tissues and fat storage and also being that your body is in an acid state of decomposition and dehydrated.  Dehydration is also a common cause of headaches and migraines if this was something you have suffered with for a while and if you are not allergic or consume quantities of Glutamates including Mono-sodium (a yeast derivative?)

I would whole heartily take Selinium supplementation at several hundred percent recommended daily dose if I was in your position.  I would also buy some litmus paper or swimming pool testers to test the PH of my urine and make sure I am not too acid and drink lots of mineralized spring water to speed up the detox.  7.2PH is nice for me.

I would also have one glass of water with one teaspoon of salt (not chemically fabricated table salt - Celtic, Himalayan or Sea salt only!) before a meal to help stop the acid indigestion and must COMPLETELY AVOID DRINKING CARBONATED DRINKS OF ANY KIND as the CO2 neutralizes stomach acid - meaning more acid is produced by the stomach to strengthen its acid PH to allow for correct protein chain dissolution to release the individual amino acids the body needs  to operate. It cannot use amino acid chains (proteins) unless they are broken into individual molecules by the CORRECT ACID PH.   Complete chains = Toxic build up = Acidity and Illness. 

For this reason avoid all gluten PERIOD

At the end of it, as far as indigestion goes all the excess created to achieve the correct PH has to go somewhere, and because the stomach is only so big and can only hold so much of this acid, at whatever PH it has become, the only possible way out, is up, or down which results in discomfort and burning and if long term, organ damage, malabsorption and potentially cancer.

Also 1 or 2 organic coffee enemas (recommended one after the other) per day or every other day would also be a great way assist your detox. 

Good luck and don't believe anything I say until you can verify it yourself through your own research! 

I am NOT FDA approved! 

ocpaul20 said:

Controversially,  I suspect that years of face cream use is not a good thing for our skin, but thats only a hunch and I have no evidence for saying that. I think it might be an easier subsitute for healthy eating and good lifestyle but again, thats only a hunch and will be very unpopular with the women.

Dry skin brushing all over your body, arms, legs, back will help the skin get unclogged and get it working better and so will drinking a lot of water to aid flushing those toxins out through the kidneys, liver etc. Maybe a sauna would help too but not if you have high blood pressure or other health issues.

Absolutely could not agree more!  Though indeed I cannot disagree with anything you have previously stated ;)

deer4 said:

You may want to see a doc about the symptoms. Between quitting smoking and diet change, your body is going through many changes.

If he or she is an MD, they are the last person I would want to see!

• RomeyRomey Raw Jr. Leader

Since your original post was January 25 I would love to see an update.  

I agree with MacGyver about the coffee enemas.  They are excellent during a detox.  In the past I have had to take ibuprofen for pain but have noticed that there are times that a coffee enema takes care of a headache.

• ClaireTClaireT Raw Master

I hope that everything has started to clear up by now. smile

• shedacaresshedacares Raw Newbie

Hi all! 

I have been eating 80% raw for the last three weeks (mostly fruits and leafy greens) during the day and a cooked vegan meal for dinner (usually baked tofu with brown rice and sauteed veggies).

I got into this way of eating due to my struggle with fibromyalgia, my weight, and general fatigue. I'm so excited I made this switch as I can already feel my energy levels climbing to places they haven't been in four years. Just for the record I am a 24 year old female. I've been experiencing some detox symptoms, and I'm just looking for some insight and validation that these will pass as they are worrisome. 

My detox symptoms are:

My acne is so much worse! My skin was clear when I began detoxing, and since my face has broken out all over my chin and forehead. They are deep pimples that don't come to a head, and the same ones have been lingering for weeks! 

I have a constant headache, which feels mostly like it's in my sinuses. I also have a lot of drainage down the back of my throat... my throat has been sore as well. 

My chronically tight neck has become so much worse and is making my headaches worse! I'm having trouble abstaining from my ibuprofen habit. What can I do? They are keeping my up at night!

Also just general body aches in places where I have had issues in the past. 

I'm also having heartburn after my cooked meal... I began taking apple cider vinegar pre meal and that seems to be helping.

How long will these symptoms last!? I feel like I've had a perpetual headache for the last two weeks! Is my cooked food dinner not allowing me to detox fast enough? I have been taking ibuprofen almost every day (cringe). I have been a smoker for the last two years and have finally gotten the patch and I'm smoking around one cigarette per day and will soon be off of them completely... I'm sure this is limiting my detox too! 

What do you guys think? Thanks!!

glad to hear that.. i am planning to go raw too..but meat is just irresistible ..especially during special occasions... hopefully i can also start planning my vegan meals soon... like the body experiences when vaccinated, it normally produces antibodies  that combat the vaccine (which is actually the weak form of the actual virus or bacteria), and we experience fever..inflammation too is a normal process that the body undergoes when there is invasion of foreign materials! so your body is not just actually cleansing but actually strengthening your immunity..it means that your body is actually responding to the herbs and fruits that you are taking.. :)

• Harmony1Harmony1 Raw Superstar
    MacGyver said:
    deer4 said:

If he or she is an MD, they are the last person I would want to see!

I agree....unless I need emergency medical care. In that case the only person I want to see is an MD. I don't think that the practice of medicine in itself is bad. I just think that it has been abused and exploited by profiteers and the pharmaceutical industry to the point that it no longer has the trustworthiness that we really need it to have. 

• mformariamformaria Raw Newbie

Wow good for you on changing your diet and eliminating cigarettes at the same time! I feel your struggle although I quit cigarettes about a year before I changed my diet to vegan and am just now transitioning gradually to more raw meals. I also have had an increase in skin breakouts since going vegan so apparently i have been detoxing slowly these last few years through the skin. 

What I recently became aware of is the need to support the liver and kidneys as they are the filtering organs that do the hard work. Look into teas, supplements, or essential oils that can support these organs in particular (in addition to the intestines and skin).